El Shaddi

Discuss Biblical and theological support for concept that Bible teaches equality between sexes.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
El Shaddi

Post by Metacrock » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:09 am

this belongs on this board

ZAROVE wrote:On the woman thing, the only debate you seem to be havign wiht me is on the definitin of Shaddai, which you'll loose as its pretty obvisuly a Masculine phrase in Hebrew, thogh the exact word is Gender zNeurral.[/quot]

yea the great linguist speaks. that tears it. You asked you gonna get.

What you are trying to do here is on a par with a what woman said in my Greek class. She said "since general (Stragegace) is feminine this must be a hold over form the tmie when the Amazons were in charge and men were the slaves of women, because general is a feminine word in Greek."

of course after my teacher recovered from laughing he said "it don't' work that way."
Table is feminine in Spanish (La Masa) that doesn't' mean only women can sit at tables.

There was a third rate scholar of English lit called Robert Graves who tried to say that since Holy Spirit is feminine in Hebrew then the Holy Spirit is a woman.

that's the same mistake you are making here. the gender of a word has nothing to do with it' meaning. Now I quoted some conservative evangelical scholars who said the word Shaddi was used of Mother's breast! not fathers, but mothers. doesn't matter what the gender of the world is! I also noticed and said that in modern Hebrew a woman's breast is "Shedine." Doesn't see the similarity?

I quotes several different scholars saying the woman's breast is the meaning of the word. one of them documented about eight places where that very word is used of women, not men but women in the OT do you hear me?

8 PASSAGES WHERE THAT VERY WORD IS USED OF WOMEN IN THE OT!

THe idea that its dfeminine still rests on assu,ing the word "Breast" is always feminine, which is not true, and that the words root is Shad which is unproven, and that words mean the same hting as their root, which is absurd.
No it does not reflect on that. the Rabbis I quoted are not stupid and they speak Hebrew. don't forget you are not a scholar you don't know Hebrew. You are just a sampler of reference books. these guys live and breath Hebrew all their lives. you have no evidence that's the basis of their view and you just assuming.

Shaddai means Almighty, and thats simply how its always been defined.
NO! that's your little need to feel powerful over women.you think if God is imaged as woman you lose power over women. that is your psychogenic need to believe that. it's not based upon scholarship and you know it' not.

the evidence I presented far outweighs your evidence in terms of scholarship show me what you scholar you quoted? you quoted Yahoo answers. Those guys aren't even good hacks.

Heck, a similar word is used for Ba'al. Ba'al didnt have woman like Breasts, did he?

that's not how prove things in language. A similar word! gezzz what does that mean?

that's like saying golly is a similar word to God so they mean the same thing.
El Shadai means "God Almighty".

stop repeating your unsupported slogan. repeating doesn't prove it. you have demonstrated no proof of any kind. I showed eight places where the actual word is used of a woman's breast!

I also showed eight other places there God is imaged as a woman. that's 16 passages that disprove your unsupported crap!
Im not even sure why you think this is worth that much of a debate.
[/quote]

O I see I am the one who made your post right? you brought it back up. it was gone you brought it back? It's so unworthy why can't you let it go?

because it's your power to be a man right? you have to be powerful over women so you have to have God be a male.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE

Re: El Shaddi

Post by ZAROVE » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Actually I wasn’t even comfortable withthr assertion that Shaddai is rooted in Shad meaning Breast. Its far from certain. But even if you assume iot is rooted in Shad, meaning Breast, two major prolems crop up that really dull this argument.

The first is, Shaddai is not Shad. Shaddai is a word into itself, this means that its definition is not going to really equate to its root. Many words in English have meanings quiet distinct from their roots, and by diggign up the root of Shaddai you do nothing to tell us what it meant in the contemporary context of its actual use.

Shaddai has always been understood to mean “Almighty” and is actually not intended to convey Gender at all. Its designed to show his Power.

That said, Shad, meaning Breast, was used to describe men’s Breasts.

In modern English we understand the word Breast as feminine. Women have Breasts, men don’t, and its natural for us to think this as that’s how we use the word. But that’s not been True even in English in the Recent Past. All one has to do is look at the use of the word Breast in the texts written in there 1950’s, and you see them describing men’s Breasts in all sorts of works. If you go into older items, you have the Roman Breastplate, which was exclusively worn by men. A Breastplate was not a Feminine item, yet the root word is “Breast” for this item. Did they shape them into women’s Breasts for battle? Hardly, they are shaped like mens chests. that’s because a mans upper chest is his Breast. I don’t even know why this upsets you so much, inasmuch as you now have to resort to insulting me and again calling me Misogynistic. Its not even an Egalitarian argument except that Kristen, because of her own need to fine=d Feminine Metaphors for God, bought that El Shaddai as a Feminine name for God meaning the Breasted one that was to call to mind a mother feeding her young.

Still, Linguistically the term is not, nor has it ever been, Feminine. The term was NEVER INTENDED TO CONVEY Gender but , and the root word was about a Mans upper chest. Or a Mountain. The reason “Almighty” was created from these terms was because they are both Strong. A mans strength comes form his Breast. I suppose the same is true of a woman, as this is were the Heart lies and were the Musculature is given, but that only reinforces my original point that its actually Gender Neutral, and does nothing to show that its Feminine.

El Shaddai is not a Feminine name for God. It means God Almighty or God All-powerful or God of our Strength, and that’s simply the definition of the word Shaddai.

Its not becuase I am sexist and cant stand the idea of a Female Image of God, its because the term itself in Hebrew is not suppose to convey motherhood or a womans Teat.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 am

ZAROVE wrote:Actually I wasn’t even comfortable withthr assertion that Shaddai is rooted in Shad meaning Breast. Its far from certain. But even if you assume iot is rooted in Shad, meaning Breast, two major prolems crop up that really dull this argument.

The first is, Shaddai is not Shad. Shaddai is a word into itself, this means that its definition is not going to really equate to its root. Many words in English have meanings quiet distinct from their roots, and by diggign up the root of Shaddai you do nothing to tell us what it meant in the contemporary context of its actual use.

Shaddai has always been understood to mean “Almighty” and is actually not intended to convey Gender at all. Its designed to show his Power.

That said, Shad, meaning Breast, was used to describe men’s Breasts.

In modern English we understand the word Breast as feminine. Women have Breasts, men don’t, and its natural for us to think this as that’s how we use the word. But that’s not been True even in English in the Recent Past. All one has to do is look at the use of the word Breast in the texts written in there 1950’s, and you see them describing men’s Breasts in all sorts of works. If you go into older items, you have the Roman Breastplate, which was exclusively worn by men. A Breastplate was not a Feminine item, yet the root word is “Breast” for this item. Did they shape them into women’s Breasts for battle? Hardly, they are shaped like mens chests. that’s because a mans upper chest is his Breast. I don’t even know why this upsets you so much, inasmuch as you now have to resort to insulting me and again calling me Misogynistic. Its not even an Egalitarian argument except that Kristen, because of her own need to fine=d Feminine Metaphors for God, bought that El Shaddai as a Feminine name for God meaning the Breasted one that was to call to mind a mother feeding her young.
Still, Linguistically the term is not, nor has it ever been, Feminine.
I quote several scholar including rabbis that says it is. your assertions are are just totally unsupported, they contradicted by the material I quotes. stop insisting upon unsupported claims and pretending like you prove it when you did not.

The term was NEVER INTENDED TO CONVEY Gender but , and the root word was about a Mans upper chest. Or a Mountain. The reason “Almighty” was created from these terms was because they are both Strong. A mans strength comes form his Breast. I suppose the same is true of a woman, as this is were the Heart lies and were the Musculature is given, but that only reinforces my original point that its actually Gender Neutral, and does nothing to show that its Feminine.
that is your unsupported assertion. Quote a scholar saying that!
El Shaddai is not a Feminine name for God. It means God Almighty or God All-powerful or God of our Strength, and that’s simply the definition of the word Shaddai.
No said it was name it's an image.

I quoted 8 passages that use the term of female breast. specifically FEMALE. you are asserting this without support of any kind.

don't confuse those with the 8 additional verses that those Shaddi do image God as mother. They are different passages but they mean the same thing, female images used of God.
Its not becuase I am sexist and cant stand the idea of a Female Image of God, its because the term itself in Hebrew is not suppose to convey motherhood or a womans Teat.
O no of cousre not! you are only willing to stoop quoting those dolts on yahoo who have no back up at all. you are only so afraid to link God with a mother images that you can't eve argue fairly.

You don't know. Stop asserting you know when you don't. you are not a solar, you don't know Hebrew. I quoted more Scholars from more diverse backgrounds that you did. You did not have a single major scholarly source backing your insistent views.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 am

"El Shaddai The God who is Sufficient

from the website Hebrew Letters by SARAHLEAH
EL SHADDAI is usually translated as GOD ALMIGHTY - EL, meaning GOD and SHADDAI being a combination word - SHE, meaning WHO and DAI meaning ENOUGH. EL SHADDAI GOD WHO IS ENOUGH, GOD WHO IS SELF-SUFFICIENT (Hagigah 12a). SHADDAI may also be from the Akkadian sadu, meaning MOUNTAIN, or the Hebrew sadeh, meaning BREAST. EL SHADDAI would then be translated respectively as GOD OF THE MOUNTAIN or GOD OF THE BREAST. Variant spelling - EL SHADAI “Adonai appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as El Shaddai” (Exodus 6:3).

(Zohar. 1984. Tr. Harry Sperling et al. New York: Soncino. 3:130).

Jacob giving last instructions to his sons said:

Gen 49:24-25.(24) "But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God (El) of Jacob; (from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:)25 Even by the God (El) of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty (Shaddai), who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb..."

(For other references to this same usage, see Isaiah 60:15-16 and Isaiah 66:10-13.)

For the full list of female imagery of God see the list on part I of Grounds for Submission

Since God transcends gender, neither gender, neither sex is enthroned in creation and neither is closer to God than the other. This brings us to the second point as a ground for gender eqaulity:

or the Hebrew sadeh, meaning BREAST, the usual translation being PROVIDER, SUSTAINER (Klein, Ernest. 1990. A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the Hebrew Language. Jerusalem: University of Haifa. 641).
that's a Rabbi and language scholar from Hebrew universeity

http://www.hebrewletters.com/item.cfm?itemid=1005

here are the verses NOT related to El Shaddi but that link God to female:

There are also many ensconces in scripture where God is imaged in female or motherly terms:

Deu 32:11 "As an eagle stirs up her nest, and hovers over her young, and spreads her wings, takes them up, and bears them on her wings.

Deu 32 :18 "Of the Rock that bore you, you were unmindful, and have forgotten God that formed you." (that one may be hard to get, baring children--female image).

Job 38:8 "Or who shut in the sea with doors when it burst out from the womb."

Job 38:29 "From whose womb did the ice come forth, and who has given birth to the hoarfrost of heaven."

Isa 45 9-10 Woe to you who strive with your Maker, earthen vessels with the potter. Does the clay say to the one who fashions it: What are you making, or Your work has no handles? Woe to anyone who says to a father: What are you begetting? or to a woman: With what are you in labour?

Isa 49:15 "Can a woman forget her nursing child, or show no compassion for the child of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. (comparing God's attitude toward Israel with a woman's attitude toward her children).

Isa 66:13 As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.

Hosea 13:8 "I will fall upon them like a bear robbed of her cubs, and will tear open the covering of their heart";

Mat 23:37 and Luk 13:34 Jerusalem, "Jerusalem, the city that kills its prophets and stones those who are sent to it. How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing."

The truth is scholars are of mixed opinions but the other 8 verses that are not related to this word and still link God with mother image are enough to prove the point that Bible links God with both and female thus there is no justification for assuming God is male or is linked more with the male.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:27 pm

But, why should female Imagery for God even come up in this discussion? We are discussing what El Shaddai means as a word. I know you want to depict me as a Sexist and my sexism is the reason I can’t except that El Shaddai means “The Breasted one” and is a feminine name for God but, the Truth is, I reject El Shaddai as Feminine and referring to a woman’s Breast for Linguistic reasons, none of which really changes with examples elsewhere of God being discussed with Feminine imagery. It has no impact whatsoever on the word Shaddai and its explicit meaning, which remains “Almighty” or some other derivation.

Even the other examples you showed proved my point. All Sufficient is another way of saying Almighty, at least for Hebrew which is a Language that makes self sufficiency a function of Power. Even the Breast is mean to convey strength as the Breast (Meaning upper chest) is were the musculature to do work comes from and were the Heart is.

So you’ve just provided my case for me.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:23 pm

A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the Hebrew Language.

http://www.hebrewletters.com/item.cfm?itemid=1005
SHADDAI may also be from the Akkadian sadu, meaning MOUNTAIN (Klein, Ernest. 1990. A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the Hebrew Language. Jerusalem: University of Haifa. 641),
or the Hebrew sadeh, meaning BREAST, the usual translation being PROVIDER, SUSTAINER (Klein, Ernest. 1990. A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the Hebrew Language. Jerusalem: University of Haifa. 641).
SHADDAI would then be translated respectively as MOUNTAIN or BREAST [PROVIDER, SUSTAINER].
Blue Letter Bible

http://www.blueletterbible.org/study/mi ... .cfm#link2
Meaning and Derivation: El is another name that is translated as "God" and can be used in conjunction with other words to designate various aspects of God's character. Another word much like Shaddai, and from which many believe it derived, is shad meaning "breast" in Hebrew (some other scholars believe that the name is derived from an Akkadian word Šadu, meaning "mountain," suggesting strength and power). This refers to God completely nourishing, satisfying, and supplying His people with all their needs as a mother would her child. Connected with the word for God, El, this denotes a God who freely gives nourishment and blessing, He is our sustainer.
do you see the nourishment and blessing that's the nature of the brest image.

It gives Mountain as an assertive but don't try to look at that and tell me that this sources says it doesn't mean a woman's breast.
So scholars are divided on it that doesn't make you automatically right. this one gives my analysis exactly!

Biblical Name Vault
Meaning, Origin and Etymology of the Word Shaddai

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Mean ... ddai.html
Shaddai Shaddai Names of God
Shaddai is a divine name but not a creation name. It is first used in Genesis 17:1 where YHWH introduces Himself to Abram, saying "I am El Shaddai."
God commands Abram to be blameless and promises him the covenant. Then He changes Abram's name to Abraham.

The meaning of Shaddai is difficult to establish. Septuagint and Vulgate say Almighty (pantokrator and omnipotens) but that's probably more out of enthusiasm than out of sound etymology (it really doesn't mean that). Some say that this name is derived from the verb shadad (shadad 2331), meaning to destroy, hence: My Destroyer. Others furiously refute this because this meaning would go against the nature of God. Isaiah, however, seems to be in the camp of the first when he writes, "Wail, for the day of YHWH is near. It will come as destruction (shad) from Shaddai (13:6)"

Those of the latter camp suggest that Shaddai comes from sadu, a word meaning mountain in the Babylonian (Akkadian) language that Abram spoke. El Of The Mountain, or El of the Gathering.

Some other ideas:

The rabbinic theory is that Shaddai may be formed by the particle shin, meaning who, which, or where, or that, plus the word day, meaning sufficient, enough. Hence the name Shaddai contains the meaning of Self-Sufficient. This is particularly interesting in light of Psalm 8:5.
Shaddai may be a derivation of the unused verb shdh, which probably has to do with to moisten or to pour (judging from the cognates and derivatives). One of those derivatives is the word shad, breast, bosom, used both in erotic scenes and the practical usage of feeding babies. A relation with the name Shaddai is not unthinkable, as this is the name by which God initiates the covenant of which Jesus is the final fulfillment. The apostle Paul compares introduction to the basics of the gospel with feeding milk to infants (1 Cor 3:1-2).

The name Shaddai may have originated in Akkadian, meaning Mountain, but to a Hebrew audience that hears God introduces Himself as El Shaddai, it must have meant both Destroyer, Self-Sufficient One and Source Of Food.
This one gives us alternatives, implies scholars are divided. That means no one really knows and neither of us can be dogmatic. You spoke like alternatives means you are right. this does not mean you are right, it means there's no dogmatically obvious answer.

http://www.parentcompany.com/awareness_of_god/nog6.htm
Definition:

El-Shaddai means God Almighty. El points to the power of God Himself. Shaddai seems to be derived from another word meaning breast, which implies that Shaddai signifies one who nourishes, supplies, and satisfies. It is God as El who helps, but it is God as Shaddai who abundantly blesses with all manner of blessings.
Tyndale Graduate school.

http://www.bigbible.org/blog/2007/04/el ... god_12.htm
This one disproved assumptions that Shaddy is realted to shadyiam. he rules out translation of "brested God" but he does not rule the connection to breast.
However, there is at least one interesting passage where the verbal echo functions powerfully. In Gen 49:22ff. where dying Jacob blesses Joseph using a string of divine names and epithets:

... by the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob,

by the name of the Shepherd,

the Rock of Israel,

25 by the God of your father, who will help you,

by the Almighty (shadday) who will bless you

with blessings of heaven above,

blessings of the deep that lies beneath,

blessings of the breasts and of the womb.

26 The blessings of your father

are stronger than the blessings of the eternal mountains,

the bounties of the everlasting hills;

may they be on the head of Joseph,

on the brow of him who was set apart from his brothers.

Here the echoes of שַׁדַּי shadday "Almighty" with שָׁדַיִם shadayim "breasts" resonates strongly, and perhaps is echoed more weakly (in sense if not by sound) with the "eternal mountains" and "everlasting hills" of the next verse. The effect is perhaps to mitigate the exclusively male patriarchal feel of the blessing - especially since שָׁדַיִם shadayim is paired with that most female of words רָחַם racham "womb".

So, not a "breasted god", but a God who consistently and persistently fulfils the ideas of this blessing in the gift of childbirth and motherhood. (For YHWH is persistently described as the giver of birth, even as the midwife of human life, and even or most poignantly when fertility of the womb is withheld.)

1. Organised by the new Centre for the Theology of Gender and hosted by Tyndale-Carey Graduate School in July. [RETURN]
Tyndale Bible Dictionary

http://ecccc.net/blog/?page_id=368
Some have begun with shad as the first concept to be considered; its meaning is “breast, pap, or teat,” and it is considered a “precious metaphor” of the God who nourishes, supplies, and satisfies. The root of shad (shadah), in Semitic usage, is to moisten. This meaning is not the preferred one in the context of which ‘El Shaddai appears;
But the previous source points to breast as implied in the context of the passage with Jaccob dying.

further references:Further references of the name El Shaddai in the Old Testament: Gen 17:1; Gen 28:3; Gen 35:11; Gen 43:14; Gen 48:3

Gen 28:3 "And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a multitude of people;" tied in with a sexual fertility symbol. So it's not a male breast but the female, the mother, the life giver.

Gen 35:11 also fertility:And God said unto him, I [am] God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:46 am

But the “Woman’s breast” interpretation is fully new. It still depends entirely on assuming Breast” means “Woman”, and it was still mainly popularised as a Theory to show the “Tolerance and diversity” in modern Scholarship. However, no one in Antiquity said this, and most Modern Scholars who haven’t jumped on the Diversity Bandwagon don’t either. The word was never understood as, or translated as, having any sort of feminine meaning.

And, the bottom line is that Shaddai is Masculine, Shadiym would be feminine. IF the Term El Shaddai was intentionally trying to create in the hearers mind a Motherly image, why use an explicitly Masculine ending for the word? It snot like Table in Spanish or General in Greek, this is Hebrew, and they used Female endings for words to designate feminine things.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 am

ZAROVE wrote:But the “Woman’s breast” interpretation is fully new.[/quote\

If it's new how come half the sources I found said "Older sources used to say this?" It' not new at all. No, it's very old. In fact some say it's obsolete. Others still use it. See the Tyndale dictionary.

It still depends entirely on assuming Breast” means “Woman”, and it was still mainly popularised as a Theory to show the “Tolerance and diversity” in modern Scholarship.
Half the people sited for that view are Talmudic scholars form the middle ages who could not care less about woman's place in society. All you are doing is trying to interpret a world based upon its currency in modern politics that has noting to do with the text. The genetic fallacy. showing its interpretation is connected to a political understanding is not a valid way to understand the word, for eitehr side.

Every source I quoted connects it to the breast of the mother and not a man's breast because of the nourishment imagery.

However, no one in Antiquity said this, and most Modern Scholars who haven’t jumped on the Diversity Bandwagon don’t either. The word was never understood as, or translated as, having any sort of feminine meaning.

you are making an assumption not in evidence. you are going "this disagree with m y politics, my politics is old and traditional and therefore it must be the way it always has been, this is novelty it's argued by new group so it must be new." that is not born out by the facts. That's nothing but an assumption. Of course you voice it like a fact like you really know it! Look at the sources I sited look at their use of the Talmud and their references to Rabbis. They all say it's the old way to look at it.
And, the bottom line is that Shaddai is Masculine, Shadiym would be feminine.
That's the fallacy Graves makes about the Spirit of God. you cannot understand the meaing of a word from it's linguistic gender. Linguistic gender is meaningless in terms of definition of words.

If that were true then what do you say in Greek about Transvestite nouns? Nouns that are feminine according to the way they look but they are counted as masculine on all the grammar charts.

La Messa (table) is feminine does that mean only women use tables? But general in Greek is feminine too ha Strategays. Battle Mocke is feminine. does that women go to war and fight battles? Does that prove that women once ruled?

that is a first year mistake. Anyone learning a biblical language soon learns that is a mistake. Very basic mistake.

IF the Term El Shaddai was intentionally trying to create in the hearers mind a Motherly image, why use an explicitly Masculine ending for the word?
Because that has nothing to do with the meaning. Just what I said. That's a first year mistake, students make that mistake early on and learn better.
It snot like Table in Spanish or General in Greek, this is Hebrew, and they used Female endings for words to designate feminine things.
[/quote]

Spanish isn't Greek. Same principle.It applies to all languages. no one talked like that. no one "I can't use this word because it's femininity and I'm a man."

linguistic gender does not determine word meaning in any language.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:31 am

Robert Graves argued that God of the OT once was a female because the Hebrew for Spirit in reference to the Spirit of God is a feminine word (in terms of the gender of the word).

Linguistic scholars criticize him for making the freshman mistake of linking word gender to meaning. The thing is if you accept your argument that breast is a masculine word then Graves is right that Spirit is a feminine.

notice words are not called "male and female" but "masculine" and "feminine."

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:41 pm

I posted this in the other thread but here is a good place sinc eyou asked for Jewish soruces.

If you really need outside sources ( as opposed to the ones Metacrock already provided which proves me right) try these by the way.

http://www.hebrewletters.com/item.cfm?itemid=45299
this really saddens me greatly. I see that you are so totally dishonest, youo are distorting the facts, and twisting the sources.

Note: I know you’ll read part of this as confirmation of your Bias, but just because it says “Provider and sustainers” doesn’t mean “Womans breast as she provides and sustains her baby”. Men were providers and sustainers, too, and nothing conotate nursing.
Just because feminists may like that idea doesn't' make it wrong and it doesn't' disprove it. that is no way to do linguistics. that's nothing more than twisting the truth in order to support your political bull shit.

your little quip about confirmation bias (I really thought you were above cheap atheist tricks) is nothing more than what you are dong and you know it. you practically admitted it. You actually tired to use it as an argument.

Here is another.

http://www.el-shaddai.org/whatdoesitmean.asp

This is another article on it.

http://pediaview.com/openpedia/El_Shaddai

Note, this one even mentions Harriet Lutzky, and says she’s a Professor of Psychology, not a Hebrew Scholar. Her “Evidence” was base don her own biases, but picked up by those who want to show off their tolerance and diversity and how modern they are.

Before her, no one connected El Shaddai with motherly imagery.

Here are a few more Jewish Sources.

http://www.ou.org/torah/tt/5762/vaera62 ... atures.htm

this is total dishonesty. you didn't use the source I used. that means your using this person is not even applicable to my evidence.you are basically using someone I didn't use. but she is in one of the quotes I gave but from a different source. that makes it worse it means yous re intentionally deceiving the reader1 you are trying to make it seem like you are answering the argument when in reality you aer not using the evidence I used.

My evidence mentioned her but it did not use her as the evidence. It was a dialogue and the evidence came from a language student and he appealed to the Tendrils Hebrew dictionary.

VERY VERY Dishonest!