The Hobbit 2012 Film

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
The Hobbit 2012 Film

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPkL7V1kExg&feature=fvst

So excited, what is your favorite fantasty/science fiction works?
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Re: The Hobbit 2012 Film

Post by Metacrock » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:07 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPkL7V1kExg&feature=fvst

So excited, what is your favorite fantasty/science fiction works?
Fantasy stuff is got to be Tolkin. Other things of that ilk just seem like wanna-bes to me.

Sci fi I love old 50's scie fi stuff with bug bubble helments, which I know is stupid. My faves:

(1) Star Treck of course, as a whole. I have the whole first run memorized word for wrds. I see five seconds of the intro and enjoy the whole episode instantly without watching it just thinking 'O of course, "the trouble with Tribbles." Or whatever.

In terms of Star Treck I go Original first, TNG second, the others I am more or less indifferent about. I don't like he movies.

(2) Babylon 5. That once with Bruce Boxligtener and Billy Mummy was in it.

I would count Dr. Who as my second fave (the old Dr. Who Hartnell through Davidson) but I don't know one counts Dr. Who as sci fi.

Movies: 2001

Novels: Ursula K. Le Guin

Novels: C.S. Lewis, not so much.

some of my favorite sci fi art:

http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogsp ... r%20System
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 am

Metacrock wrote:Fantasy stuff is got to be Tolkin. Other things of that ilk just seem like wanna-bes to me.
Yeah, tolkein is the boss. Though I think this generation's equivalent is an author named George Martin. I actually like his "Song of Ice and Fire" series more than any sci-fi or fantasy. And while he was influenced by Tolkein, his works are more of a low-fantasty where magic is rare but terrifying, and characters are morally grey. It is a lot more gritty and actually reflects a lot of what medieval society is like. He even has an HBO show for his books that are highly rated called Game of Thrones.

Star Trek Next Gen. is my choice, and Wrath of Khan is my favorite from the movies. Though there is this internet reviewer/parodier who actually went through all of the odd movies (the bad/not great ones).
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:18 am

Patricia McKillip is one of the best modern fantasy writers I know. Robin McKinley runs a close second, followed by Diana Wynn Jones. If you haven't tried any of their stuff, I recommend a look!
Wag more.
Bark less.