Possible Scottus influence on Spinoza

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
mdsimpson92
Possible Scottus influence on Spinoza

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:13 am

"Elsewhere Eriugena's asserts that God is the ‘essence of all things’ (essentia omnium) and the ‘form of all things’ (forma omnium). In the thirteenth century, expressions such as these led to the accusation of heresy, i.e. that Eriugena is collapsing the difference between God and creation. It must be noted, however, that although Eriugena asserts the identity of God and creation, he explicitly rejects the view that God is the ‘genus’ or ‘whole’ (totum) of which the creatures are ‘species’ or ‘parts’. Only metaphorically (metaforice, translative) can it be said that God is a ‘genus’ or a ‘whole’. Assertions concerning the immanence of God in creation are always balanced in Eriugena's writings by assertions of God's transcendence above all things. God is both ‘form of all things’ and also is without form, formless. Since God cannot be said to be anything, God cannot be simply identified with any or every creature either."

I know that Spinoza could have gotten it from other sources, but this seems to be exactly the same way Spinoza distinguishes God from the modes. Albeit with less platonism.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Re: Possible Scottus influence on Spinoza

Post by Metacrock » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 pm

wow that is very interesting. I must read more of both men. I've only read about Socttus and I have read Spinoza but a long time ago.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 am

Metacrock wrote:wow that is very interesting. I must read more of both men. I've only read about Socttus and I have read Spinoza but a long time ago.
I just came to mind. Then again, Plotinus probably had just as much influence among others.

Quick question. Do you know anywhere online where I can find relatively short philosophy articles for free?
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:41 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:wow that is very interesting. I must read more of both men. I've only read about Socttus and I have read Spinoza but a long time ago.
I just came to mind. Then again, Plotinus probably had just as much influence among others.

Quick question. Do you know anywhere online where I can find relatively short philosophy articles for free?
any article on any subject or on the one's we were talking about?

these are not really academic standard and some of the subjects are not that important. they are short, philosophical and free.

http://philosophynow.org/selection
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief