Different concepts of omnipotence.

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
runamokmonk
Re: Different concepts of omnipotence.

Post by runamokmonk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:41 pm

....but I go back to my original point. Are you SURE you aren't reading too much into the text?

I said I was concerned and described what I read when you asked to elaborate.

If I am reading into what it said, I don't recall that I was wrong exactly. I am talking about the structure of what I read not simply the humans involved and how good or bad they may behave.

If anything, I may be reading it literally, possibly.

I brought up universal principles that women could use to change the structure, not an appeal to be treated better within the structure.

I realize this is one part of a larger social structure but the universal principles could be applied elsewhere too if it was felt it was needed by individual humans that the structure itself treated them incorrectly in some way.

....but I go back to my original point. Are you SURE you aren't reading too much into the text? I don't think you are bringing up a valid point here, particularly since the culture that actually DID develop out of the Quran is not playing into your thinking at any point (that I can see).

Even if at the end of the day, and considering everything I've said, you still aren't comfortable with whatever social structure you perceive, I guess I just have to say that such is your prerogative. You can form any opinion you like, I guess. But I'm wondering why you would want to?
Because I have my own way of thinking in which regular humans themselves can change and alter their environment and I think they can benefit from applying universal principles if whatever structure is seen as needing changed.

As I stated, I was concerned and I feel it is within my right to ask since I live in this world too.

My view of God, would be different, I think, because I would see the appeal for the change of structures in regards to principles such fairness, or equality of power, or liberation, coming from God. A disruption and imbalance from love, from below or the outer perimeter and the tension between what is for ought to be coming out of our hearts from God.

For instance, I see the power of God's love on the outside of the city gates of Jerusalem.

Since, human power relations are almost incomprehensible to me, God above is hard me to comprehend, except that people say he is and I used to tend to take what religious people said about God to heart and take their scary judgement stances literally since I am possibly blind to God, until an experience flipped things around some. Otherwise, I would have just rejected religious hope and faith and stuck with my heart. But, that is where the power of God may affect.

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 pm

I am not trying to discredit that you have ideas about social structures and the role of women in them. Nor am I trying to discredit that you have been inspired on your path to God and that your heart desires to see God reflected through your surroundings. I am not trying to deny you the right to be concerned about living in a relationship with God and seeing that relationship in the society around you.

What am I trying to do is to distinguish between what you are bringing into this verse and what an *Islamic* approach, or interpretation, to her own sacred text would say about the social structure that ACTUALLY existed with this verse. So I am holding the verse to THAT standard, and you are holding it to YOUR standard. That's fine, as far as it goes, you are entitled to your opinion. But it isn't an opinion about Islam, or about how that verse should be interpreted (as a verse of Quran). Rather, I see this as you expressing some ideas about society. That's fine. But it's something different from expressing ideas about what that verse means.

What I mean is: you might be concerned, but you aren't REALLY concerned about THAT verse. Instead you are expressing concern about ideas that you were inspired to think about when you read THAT verse, but this is a very different meaning from saying, "That verse means such-n-such" based on your opinion.

....I am probably not being very clear. I am sorry. I wish I had a better grasp of how to express this idea. Maybe it really isn't that important and I am just stressing you out and wasting your time. ...I'll try to elaborate a bit more on what I mean, in response to some things you said in your last reply. If it doesn't help either, well...argh! Language is so pitiful.

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to compose your thoughts and bring up some interesting notions about how we can express our desires for justice, equity and liberation. I like those concepts and I like the chance to talk about them. Most of what I say below is very technical and probably a waste of your time.

I am not trying to dismiss you or your ideas. I actually wish I had more knowledge of Islam so that I might be able to share with you her ideas about justice, and equity, and give you a fair idea of the social context for that verse. Unfortunately, I am not so well knoweldgeable to give you anything but a false picture based on half-truths.

Sorry I couldn't engage you more on the subject you brought up.

My view of God, would be different, I think, because I would see the appeal for the change of structures in regards to principles such fairness, or equality of power, or liberation, coming from God. A disruption and imbalance from love, from below or the outer perimeter and the tension between what is for ought to be coming out of our hearts from God.

For instance, I see the power of God's love on the outside of the city gates of Jerusalem.

Since, human power relations are almost incomprehensible to me, God above is hard me to comprehend, except that people say he is and I used to tend to take what religious people said about God to heart and take their scary judgement stances literally since I am possibly blind to God, until an experience flipped things around some. Otherwise, I would have just rejected religious hope and faith and stuck with my heart. But, that is where the power of God may affect.
I can appreciate that you have had your own path through religion and are on your own approach to God. I totally respect that. But this is what I mean - you're bringing all of this into that verse and reading it through that background and interpreting it in terms of this idea of power structures, fairness, equality, etc. But those are *your* ideas of those notions.

I am saying that the Quran also has those notions, and traditional Islamic law also incorporates those notions. What I am asking you to do is not consider *your* interpretation of that verse and how it theoretically applies to you (are you being asked to conform to Sharia law?). Instead, refer to the ACTUAL historical societies that were REALLY based upon those notions of fairness, equality and liberation that the Quran has; see how the legal codes dealt with them; and observe the social structures that supported these features.

You don't have to. By no means do I think you HAVE to. I am simply arguing that if you want to go beyond this verse, and if you want to try to go beyond and explore what Islamic context might exist *out there*, then there are avenues to seeing the verse within the larger social context. But those avenues don't stem from *your* ideas. Not yet. Not until much more homework has been done.

Of course, you don't have to follow the Islamic notions and do that homework, but if you don't, then recognize that you are now talking about your OWN ideas and your own social context, and it has essentially NOTHING to do with the verse that you initially were concerned about. So I don't see concern in that verse, rather I see concern in *YOU*. Those are different things.

And it's fine to be concerned. Really. We need to have concern within us. And maybe you will be interested in following the Islamically inspired paths of concern to fairness and equity and justice? Or not. Either way, that's fine. But just keep clear the distinction between your own path, and the path of the Quran. They are different.

You see what I am getting at?

This is what I have been trying to say. This is why I said you are reading a LOT into that verse. You are certainly NOT just taking the literal reading of it. You are definitely - as you showed here - bringing a LOT to the table. And again, that's okay, but just respect that knowledge has a special role to play in our lives so it is very important to keep knowledge discrete. To keep clear in our mind what we know, how we know it, and what we associate with that.

Peace.
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

runamokmonk

Post by runamokmonk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:24 pm

...okay, but that begs the question of why *women* need to have resort to something to change the structure? Why wouldn't *men* want to change the structure? Surely it would be VERY advantageous to *men* to not have to find 3 witnesses instead of 2 (men or women). You are also implying that the structure is inflexible to begin with, and I don't see ANY justification for that assertion.

I am asking, is there a universal principle that can be used to change the structure?

Let me put it differently...why worry about this one verse? One verse does not make a social structure. If you are worried about social structure we need to do a LOT more homework. This is just a tiny little inkling of something.

Well, you state this but you could just explain this verse to begin with. And it is not just this one verse. But it is the verse I saw quoted.

I am saying that the Quran also has those notions, and traditional Islamic law also incorporates those notions. What I am asking you to do is not consider *your* interpretation of that verse and how it theoretically applies to you (are you being asked to conform to Sharia law?).
I am not talking about how it applies to me. I am talking about how it applies to women. I stated that I live in this world and what happens in is of my concern.

...You don't have to. By no means do I think you HAVE to. But you are clearly going beyond what the verse says...WAAAAAY beyond....

You state this but I took what it said and described it.
Call in two of your men as witnesses. But if two men cannotbe found, then call one man and two women out of those you approve of as witnesses, so thatif one of the two women should forget the other can remind her. Let the witnesses notrefuse when they are summoned.

And it's fine to be concerned. Really. We need to have concern within us. And maybe you will be interested in following the Islamically inspired paths of concern to fairness and equity and justice? Or not. Either way, that's fine. But just keep clear the distinction between your own path, and the path of the Quran. They are different.

I realize they are different. But I am saying that I don't have tolerance for other viewpoints in regards to the human structures that affect real humans as my highest values. I don't have tolerance for things that go against what I think are higher principles.

You see what I am getting at?

This is what I have been trying to say. This is why I said you are reading a LOT into that verse. You are certainly NOT just taking the literal reading of it. You are definitely - as you showed here - bringing a LOT to the table. And again, that's okay, but just respect that knowledge has a special role to play in our lives so it is very important to keep knowledge discrete. To keep clear in our mind what we know, how we know it, and what we associate with that.

You have not actually stated that this is not the structure but have talked about human behavior within it.

I am concerned that if someone who feels that the structure, the laws and structure, hurt them or dislike the treatment. Is there some sort of prinicple to change the structure.
Last edited by runamokmonk on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Look, I am sorry my first reply didn't reflect the overall tone I was trying to establish.

I significantly re-edited it to try and make the tone fit with what I was trying to express in my heart.

Sorry for the confusion. If you can please re-read it in light of the changes, I would be grateful.
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 pm

runamokmonk wrote:I am asking, is there a universal principle that can be used to change the structure?...if someone who feels that the structure, the laws and structure, hurt them or dislike the treatment. Is there some sort of prinicple to change the structure.
Yes and no.

There is a lot of room for judges to use good 'ole common sense in seeking legal rulings. In terms of the overall structure of Islamic legal code, you are asking a VERY complex question that I don't have the proper knowledge to answer you on.

In terms of this specific case around women...I really don't see this as a woman's issue!! lol...but is there some negotiation in terms of the number of witnesses required for a valid contract? Again, I don't know, but I don't immediately see anything in the language (granted, it was translated) that should make this a very rigid case of THOU SHALT!!!

But I gather now that you are asking about the general legal structure of Islamic law and how it works within a social context?

There is a lot of variability in terms of legal rulings. There are some things that aren't negotiable and some things which are PURPOSELY VERY negotiable. We are talking about the law of an entire society. It's complicated. And no, it isn't something entirely set in stone and closed to human interpretation and modification. There is a lot of responsibility placed upon intelligent judges, and probably even MORE responsibility placed upon people - regular common folk - just using common sense, trying to get by, and being simple, honest, and kind to one another.
Last edited by sgttomas on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 pm

runamokmonk wrote:I realize they are different. But I am saying that I don't have tolerance for other viewpoints in regards to the human structures that affect real humans as my highest values. I don't have tolerance for things that go against what I think are higher principles.
That - in and of itself - is a VERY admirable quality to have as a human being. It is a very noble quality.

The epitome of nobility in that quality is to have zero tolerance for anything that contradicts the highest of all principles: which is to (first) love God with all your heart, mind, and spirit, and (then) to love your neighbors as you love your self.

This is Islam.

runamokmonk

Post by runamokmonk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:02 am

I need to say that I am not able to respond further, but not from anything other than that I am tired, and don't how else to bow out and say that I will not be back to this thread to respond to any other comments quoted of mine. I feel like it might be polite to say that so I did.

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:05 am

Appreciated.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:12 am

I think he's getting at a basis for left political action, or liberation theology. There are Liberation Islam guys, who aren't alkida or Whabie types. They are Marxist based like most liberation guys. I don't know if they are still going but I heard of them back in the late 80s when I was at Perkins.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 am

Actually, I want to bring this back because I think the concept of omnipotence is worht covering. Could God technically violate his goodness? Or how about the issue that most process theorists bring up, such as the covenants and God's tendency to make deals in the Old Testament.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...