Putting words in Jesus' mouth

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Socius
Re: Putting words in Jesus' mouth

Post by Socius » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:24 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:Did I say that the gospel of Mark is never about Gentiles? I said that what is meant by "food" would be something different to Jesus' audience in that scene (who were Jews).
But by telling th story of the Ayrophoenician woman in Mk 7:24-30 immediately after Mk 7:1-23, we understand that the food purity laws established were now broken down, therefore Gentiles could enter God's kingdom. Mk 7:1-23 is dealing with what many early Christians saw as a problem in relating Jews to Gentiles. Jesus deals with the problem. Mk 7:24-30 illustrates this by including a narrative of a Gentile woman.
socius

"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge" - Bertrand Russell

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:59 am

Socius wrote:
KR Wordgazer wrote:Did I say that the gospel of Mark is never about Gentiles? I said that what is meant by "food" would be something different to Jesus' audience in that scene (who were Jews).
But by telling th story of the Ayrophoenician woman in Mk 7:24-30 immediately after Mk 7:1-23, we understand that the food purity laws established were now broken down, therefore Gentiles could enter God's kingdom. Mk 7:1-23 is dealing with what many early Christians saw as a problem in relating Jews to Gentiles. Jesus deals with the problem. Mk 7:24-30 illustrates this by including a narrative of a Gentile woman.

that's a purely academic problem. That doesn't really detract from the idea that we have the gist of Jesus' teaching.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 am

Socius wrote:If God exists then I have doubts that any current definitions of God are entirely accurate. That does not mean there is no truth in the world religions.
You are an interesting person. I missed your contributions during my hiatus, but you definitely contribute positively to this forum by your tone and demeanor. I see you check in from time to time, I hope you find more reasons to post.

I am a Muslim and openly appeal to people to consider the religion ("evangelist" doesn't really fit, but you'll understand the connotation). Have you considered Islam? Considering your strengths in textual criticism, I'm curious if your works have taken you to studying the Quran as a text. Dogmas aside about it being the literal and inerrant word of God (which we claim), we also state that it has been preserved from error and alteration from transmission to compilation through to dissemination. I have only read one book on the subject, and it was written by a Muslim, but he points to the earliest manuscripts being at a level of consistency that Bible scholars couldn't dream possible.
Also, I find fundamentalism of any type, atheist and theist, abhorrent. I have no intention of winning argumets, just trying to understand, offer a new perspective and learn from differing perspectives.
ALLAH calls you to listen to His Prophet. There is a rich spiritualist tradition, a wisdom tradition and a legal tradition. I am ignorant of almost all of it, but will gladly explore the meaning of life with people who want to understand what I do know.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:44 am

Socius wrote:
welcome. I didn't see you there.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief