looks like it's just us

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Metacrock
looks like it's just us

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:24 pm

zor can you go on the old board and talk to some people about coming over here?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE

Re: looks like it's just us

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:08 am

WELL, VIsualFiction ran Kristen Rosser off, with his insults. VIsualFiction hates me and thinks I am an idiot who si rude, arrogant, and defensive. Metatonia does't want ot be invovled any longer.

Not sure who wodl come. Maybe Theognosis?

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm Kristen Rosser. I've decided to register here, but to use a username I use on other boards. :)

For the record, it wasn’t because of VisualFiction’s insults, per se, that I left “Sense of the Numinous.” It was because one of the moderators told me it was the policy of that forum to permit this kind of behavior (sarcasm and condescension rather than direct name-calling), as part of “hard-hitting discussion.” Because VisualFiction was subtle enough to fly under the moderator’s radar, as it were, by not attacking me directly but simply implying my idiocy, laziness, etc. I felt that to stay on that board would mean I and everyone else would continue to be fair game for whatever was thrown at us, as long as the insulter did not directly call us names. It was also not the first time I had been so treated in a discussion (and not just by VisualFiction), and I wasn’t the only one that had been treated this way.

I’m not trying to affix blame, and I hope Metanoia didn’t feel too bad about what happened. I would like to be part of this new board, but I would really like it to be a place where people, no matter how strongly they disagree, will treat one another with respect and courtesy. Even if we think someone else is an idiot, that’s no reason to treat them like one, right? We can keep it to ourselves, heh, heh.

Does this make sense? I feel that arguments and discussions should not be about winning, but about expanding one another’s thinking with different perspectives– in short, that it’s ok to agree to disagree. I recognize, though, that others are often more competitive than I am. I’m not trying to make everyone tiptoe through tulips and give pink hugs, ok? Just hoping to not have to go home upset anymore.
Wag more.
Bark less.

dumernmud

Post by dumernmud » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:46 pm

hi, thought I'd register and stop by from time to time...don't have lots of time to post these days, but hope to get a debate or two going.

I typically don't bother debating atheists, seems a waste of time. They use the same tired arguments, and to them we use the same tired arguments. Never could figure out the attraction. Hopefully, we can get some philosophical/theological stuff going...?

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Kristen, I can also understand your frustrations. Ive been treated badly elsewhere too, so know how to handle myself. Especially if the poster wishes to play the game of beign the nice guy while nsultign you. ( Se ehis "Cute" bible joke above for firther indication.)

Nevertheless, I can see why such woudl be offputting. Being insulted , and rather direclty in my case, can certianly hamper ones mood if one lets it. I never do. ( Yes I am aware of the new reputaiton point, Visfic, that I take things persoanlly. I don't. ) I do, however, have an interesting adamancy in tryign to force them to address their conduct or to confront them with what they themselves have said.

But I hope this place is better, and certainly think we can make it so with a tighter enforcement o the rules.

THough I suggest somethign less draconian than a simple ban/keep policy. Maybe warnings, censur by edit, and temporary bans woudl do, permenantly bannign a member only if they become too offensive or too repetitious in violations.

But I digress...

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:46 pm

i promise to be nice, unless of course, someone is being a jerk. Do you have any calvinists in here? I have a low tolerance for arrogant calvinists. ;)
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:08 pm

Who are you?

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 pm

ZAROVE wrote:Who are you?
pppleease, ssir, ...i'm yOur newest member, unred typo? the door was open... i just wandered in... it seemed like a good idea at the time... :?
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:27 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:I'm Kristen Rosser. I've decided to register here, but to use a username I use on other boards. :)

For the record, it wasn’t because of VisualFiction’s insults, per se, that I left “Sense of the Numinous.” It was because one of the moderators told me it was the policy of that forum to permit this kind of behavior (sarcasm and condescension rather than direct name-calling), as part of “hard-hitting discussion.” Because VisualFiction was subtle enough to fly under the moderator’s radar, as it were, by not attacking me directly but simply implying my idiocy, laziness, etc. I felt that to stay on that board would mean I and everyone else would continue to be fair game for whatever was thrown at us, as long as the insulter did not directly call us names. It was also not the first time I had been so treated in a discussion (and not just by VisualFiction), and I wasn’t the only one that had been treated this way.

I’m not trying to affix blame, and I hope Metanoia didn’t feel too bad about what happened. I would like to be part of this new board, but I would really like it to be a place where people, no matter how strongly they disagree, will treat one another with respect and courtesy. Even if we think someone else is an idiot, that’s no reason to treat them like one, right? We can keep it to ourselves, heh, heh.

Does this make sense? I feel that arguments and discussions should not be about winning, but about expanding one another’s thinking with different perspectives– in short, that it’s ok to agree to disagree. I recognize, though, that others are often more competitive than I am. I’m not trying to make everyone tiptoe through tulips and give pink hugs, ok? Just hoping to not have to go home upset anymore.

I never said insults were tolerated. I often lost my temper and made them. I never said they were ok. I am shocked that Noia would think that. It wont be that way here I promise.

btw . clever avator. My friend. :mrgreen:

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:30 am

unred typo wrote:
ZAROVE wrote:Who are you?
pppleease, ssir, ...i'm yOur newest member, unred typo? the door was open... i just wandered in... it seemed like a good idea at the time... :?

Zor is not the moderator. I am. these are my boards. I am Metacrock. welcome! glad to have you here. please feel free to discuss. :D