John Scottus of Ireland

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
mdsimpson92
John Scottus of Ireland

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Just started reading about him and so far I have like what I have read.

http://www.leonardobrian.com/writing/jo ... ugena.html

Do you know where I can find any of his writings online.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Re: John Scottus of Ireland

Post by Metacrock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:42 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:Just started reading about him and so far I have like what I have read.

http://www.leonardobrian.com/writing/jo ... ugena.html

Do you know where I can find any of his writings online.
wow that's one aspect of medieval thought that I have never been proficient in. I couldn't tell you much about him. I should, that's a lack, a gap in my knowledge.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:58 am

Metacrock wrote:wow that's one aspect of medieval thought that I have never been proficient in. I couldn't tell you much about him. I should, that's a lack, a gap in my knowledge.
Slightly suprising, I would have thought you to be all over his Neoplatonism. This guy has psuedo-dionysus and everything. The two parts that caught my eye about him was the panentheism (or resembling it) and the believe in Christian universalism. I thought the idea of an eternal hell was solidified at that point but I guess that only happened around the high middle ages.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:27 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:wow that's one aspect of medieval thought that I have never been proficient in. I couldn't tell you much about him. I should, that's a lack, a gap in my knowledge.
Slightly suprising, I would have thought you to be all over his Neoplatonism. This guy has psuedo-dionysus and everything. The two parts that caught my eye about him was the panentheism (or resembling it) and the believe in Christian universalism. I thought the idea of an eternal hell was solidified at that point but I guess that only happened around the high middle ages.

I've studied Neo Platonism that doesn't mean I've studied this guy. I know who he was and all of course. There's other people to study before him who were Neo-Platonist.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:32 pm

there's a legeond (maybe) that he was stabbed to death by his student's pens.

I can't help but think of that as a purposeful symbol or metaphor.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Metacrock wrote:there's a legeond (maybe) that he was stabbed to death by his student's pens.

I heard that, from what I heard it could be both. Either they stabbed him do death for being too close in dogma to the Eastern Church as opposed to the West, or their writing was so boring that it killed him. :mrgreen: I personally think it is the latter (more funny that way).

Either way, I am going to head to the university library and pick his writings up along with Marting Buber. Should be an interesting read.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:52 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:there's a legeond (maybe) that he was stabbed to death by his student's pens.

I heard that, from what I heard it could be both. Either they stabbed him do death for being too close in dogma to the Eastern Church as opposed to the West, or their writing was so boring that it killed him. :mrgreen: I personally think it is the latter (more funny that way).

Either way, I am going to head to the university library and pick his writings up along with Marting Buber. Should be an interesting read.

ok that's cool

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:26 pm

So far its going pretty well. He's right now using a platonic dialogue between a student and teacher. He is starting with four basic types of entities, those that are not created and create, those that are create and create, those that are created and don't create, and those that are not created and don't create.

I also find it interesting that he identifies God with non-being. Sounds very Daoist.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:37 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:So far its going pretty well. He's right now using a platonic dialogue between a student and teacher. He is starting with four basic types of entities, those that are not created and create, those that are create and create, those that are created and don't create, and those that are not created and don't create.

I also find it interesting that he identifies God with non-being. Sounds very Daoist.
My friend Patty and I were talking about trying to make a non intellectual book for the popular masses. We would water down all the ideas and make it interesting. C.S. Lewis came to mind so before long we had a sort of Beatrix Potter kind of story going with little cute mice and shit. all facious of cousre. weren't really going to write that. I said "Mr. Rabat said to mr. mouse, --Mr. Mouse, what is the nature of the good?" I had the mouse launching off on a really cogent rendition of Nikimacian ethics.

we agreed we are not just not meant to write for the masses.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:41 pm

Yeah, that actually sounded like a funny youtube video.