"I implore Euodia and Syntyche"

Discuss Biblical and theological support for concept that Bible teaches equality between sexes.

Moderator:Metacrock

KR Wordgazer
Re: "I implore Euodia and Syntyche"

Post by KR Wordgazer » Fri May 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Ok, that's it. I'm done. You've twisted all I said and then continued to attack me personally.

For the record: I did not equate you with a racist, nor did I intend to. I called into question the meaning of the word "equal" as used by complementarians, using a racial analogy to make it clear. That's all it was, and all it was meant to be. But I will not be browbeaten by you or anyone else.

I tried, but it's impossible to have an amicable religious discussion on this board, unless you already are in agreement on the issue.

Sorry, Metacrock. Bye.
Wag more.
Bark less.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Sat May 31, 2008 4:02 pm

Ok. I've been asked to stay, and so I will. I don't want to be a drama queen or anything, contrary to the way it may seem. :oops: And I don't want to make a production out of this, because I never intended to use threatening to leave as some sort of weapon or powerplay. I'm not like that. So I won't do it again.

Enough said. Hope you all don't mind if I stick around. :)

(For the record, I still like Zarove; I think he's a great guy, and I'm sorry I offended him.)
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:08 pm

thank you worgazer. I wish we could drum up more interest for this board. this one in particular but any or all actually.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

tiro3

Post by tiro3 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Zarove,
“And it dfoes lead tot hat conclusion. If I do not let women preach, I am equivolent to peopel who would not let blacks preach. Its nto analoguous at all, though, since women are not men, whereas a black man is still a man.
Black men fill the same biological role as white men. White women do not fill the same biological role as black men, or as white men.”
White men did not let black men (or black women) preach/teach/lead because they held that black men (and women) were an inferior race. World over history teaches us that at one time (only until recently) with few exceptions (but there were exceptions, incl. OT Hebrew beliefs) all men believed that all women were an inferior gender to the male gender. That is the comparison.

And because of this underlying belief system, Scripture that were not actually speaking into this belief were interpreted as if they were.

My guess is that there are many on this forum who have attempted to show you how to read 1 Timothy contextually, but you have held to the “plain reading” of a couple sentences.

The argument that women are different from men offers nothing to the subject, because being different does not infer then that what one CAN do one must NOT do. Being different only addresses the facts that there are some things that men are not capable of doing that women can and that there are some things that women are not capable of doing that men can. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the Holy Spirit gifting people to do things for the kingdom of God.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Two years old but, I stick to the ocntext of the whole book. Nothign suggests that what Ive said is actually wrong.