Question

Discuss Biblical and theological support for concept that Bible teaches equality between sexes.

Moderator:Metacrock

SayaOtonashi
Question

Post by SayaOtonashi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:21 am

keiro means to cut hair, so is Paul in 1 Corinthians saying it's wrong with women to cut her hair but than it's kind silly since both women and men take Nazarite vow, in which men and women grow their hair long. So the all arugment on men having short hair is kinda not back up

Metacrock

Re: Question

Post by Metacrock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:20 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:keiro means to cut hair, so is Paul in 1 Corinthians saying it's wrong with women to cut her hair but than it's kind silly since both women and men take Nazarite vow, in which men and women grow their hair long. So the all arugment on men having short hair is kinda not back up
I think he's actually saying something that's limited to that culture. A woman with shaved head or real short hair in that culture was taken for a prostitute. The covering on the head was a sign the woman was a proper person. So he's saying if you don't cover you will be taken for a prostitute that will look bad for us to have a "prostitute" looking woman physicking in the chruch.

Please read my essay on this chapter. It's in 2 pages starting here:

http://www.doxa.ws/social/Women/veil-2.html
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

KR Wordgazer

Re: Question

Post by KR Wordgazer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:52 pm

Yes-- it's important to remember that Paul was talking to a church composed mainly of Greeks, who would not be familiar with the Nazirite vows. "Does not nature tell us" was about what seemed natural in that culture.
Wag more.
Bark less.