Our $%^&ing Books are the Greatest of Them All!!

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

met
Our $%^&ing Books are the Greatest of Them All!!

Post by met » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 am

So please buy them! :shock:

Okay, sometime during the next few days, we're about to release our "efg publishing" third release, Naught's Had, A Romance on amazon.com in print ...

Here's the front cover for the amazon print version, do you guys like it?

The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Jim B.

Re: Our $%^&ing Books are the Greatest of Them All!!

Post by Jim B. » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:26 am

It looks good, met. Very minimalist. That's a person in profile, right? Can you make it bigger? And some more info on the book?

met

Post by met » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 am

Did you mean a better resolution image? Yep, I can do that....

& I will add the book's blurb once I edited it a bit :oops:

PS Really, it's just a stock CS-generated cover, with the main image off the book's website, but amazing how it came off so well, we think we may just have to keep it (in spite of the lame faux smallcaps!).... As you said, very minimalist. Also sort of gentle, but kind of stark....

So then later, we'll may to have someone recreate it for us to use off amazon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Here's an 'alt' mockup that I did :oops: ... pretty rough....
Digest Cover Shiny quincy-page001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Ward Blanton

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:45 pm

met wrote:Here's an 'alt' mockup that I did :oops: ... pretty rough....
Digest Cover Shiny quincy-page001.jpg
I definitely like that one better. It's more legible. Maybe try one where the figure's a little bigger. Also, do you have one where she's in profile or 3/4's view, rather than looking away from the camera?

met

Post by met » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Well, one critiquer (a woman) suggested she'd like to see something a bit more obviously relational :oops: ... with two figures in it, a boy & a girl. More dramatic tension that way...

So here's a real quick knockup .... & a departure in a whole other direction ... wdyt?

(Btw, thx Jim! :) I know you have some expertise in this area, so your input is especially appreciated....)
Blue orange cropped.jpg
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:47 pm

A BLURB, IN PROGRESS ....

​Set against the backdrop of the 1970’s, when rock ’n roll energized the world and made us believe in tomorrow, ​Naught’s Had is a romance that bites back. Everyone knows Alex.... He’s charming, good looking, and gets a rush out of life — and women. With Kim, he finds an incredible rush in loving her. He has to choose, but finds ways not to. With Alex, Kimberly’s tasted heaven, and doesn't care what hell she has to go through. The story conveys the truth about a love that does not ‘fit neatly’ together, where no one is right, while playing out the complexities of two ordinary people and their choices about how to love, and not love, each other.

AUTHOR'S COMMENTS

“My novel is about passion, longings, fears. It is about not knowing how to love but loving anyway. It is about social pressures. It is about letting love be whatever it is. It is about holding on and holding back. It is about games people play. It is about the interplay between love and fear. It is loud. It is urgent. It is young. It is frustrating. It has something to say about being alive.

“The book is built on an experiential sense of form, not a conceptual one. There is no narrative voice outside the perspective of the characters, and none of the perspectives are raised above the others. No one is right; they are merely experiencing, and, in that, discovering. Life appears on the pages in all it's everyday, unsophisticated glory. And, like life itself, the novel does not resolve its tensions.”
Yeh well, :oops: personally, I think I suck at trying to write this stuff!!

Alt version...
‘Naught’s Had’ is the story of Kimberly and Alex, two ordinary, unsophisticated young people, set in the 1970’s. It is a romance that bites back. Against the backdrop of the 70’s, when rock ’n roll energized the world and made us believe in tomorrow, the story plays out the complexities of two people, and their choices about how to love, and not love each other

AUTHOR'S COMMENTS:

(etc)
Dr Ward Blanton

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:17 am

I think the second one, with the two people, might be a better fit with the subject matter and the theme based on the blurbs. It's more relational, like the other critiquer said. The first photo had more of a mystical or transcendental look, like the book might be more about an inward journey of discovery than about relationships. It just depends on how oblique of a reference to the subject matter you want the cover to make. What do you guys think?

met

Post by met » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:05 pm

Okay, let's try something like that for an e-book cover.....

https://dwtr67e3ikfml.cloudfront.net/bo ... f473cc684c

& you can read my updated blub on Smashwords too....

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/557773
:)

Will also post a short excerpt in a minute....
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Naught’s Had excerpt -- Ch 27, first page.... (delicious writing.....)

— 27 —

One look and he saw that last time was still in her eyes, in her smile – even more alive now than it had been that night, as if time kept up the drunkenness, as if she didn’t know (didn’t want to know) that he’d sobered up with the day. He smiled to himself – he’d expected her to come looking for more of the same, expected her to try to tie him to that. But she was dreaming, and he knew how to wake her up to a few of the realities of life. He left the door open for her and went back into the house. He sat down. She stood halfway into the living room. “So what do you want?” As if he didn’t know – she didn’t know, she wouldn’t admit it to her to herself. But her smile was gone. He smiled.

“I phoned. You said to come over.”

“You didn’t say what you wanted on the phone. I thought you’d tell me when you got here.” I want to get laid. I like good sex. What else is there? – she wouldn’t say it but that was all there was, and she was here because she didn’t get it anywhere else.

“I didn’t know I had to have a reason to come here.”

“Didn’t you? Well, it doesn’t make any difference to me anyway.” And he lit up a cigarette, yawning. She came into the room, sitting down on the chair opposite him. Watching him, disturbing him. He liked that, and he liked the hint of fear in her eyes too.

He looked at the television. “What’s this?”

She was being polite – hadn’t learned yet that politeness wouldn’t do it for him.

He shrugged. “Some show.”
Dr Ward Blanton