quiz

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
quiz

Post by Metacrock » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:16 pm

these are fun. Sent to me in email by my sister.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward ?

3 Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own,
for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year.
What are the only two perennial vegetables ?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside ?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy,
with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe,
and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.
How did the pear get inside the bottle ?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.
Can you name at least half of them ?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'

Answers To Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends: Boxing.

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward:
Niagara Falls .. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons: Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside: Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle?
It grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they're small, and are wired in place on the tree.
The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season.
When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

6. Three English words beginning with "dw":
Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar:
Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh: Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with 'S': Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

QuantumTroll

Re: quiz

Post by QuantumTroll » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:00 am

My attempt:

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
- It must be some sport where all participants finish at the same time and all points are awarded at the end of the contest. But what sport is that??

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward ?
- Easy! Niagara Falls, because of erosion!

3 Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own,
for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year.
What are the only two perennial vegetables ?
- Vegetables, vegetables, all I can think of is fruit! What about fruit-like vegetables, then, like tomatoes? Hmm, doesn't seem right, because my own tomato vines get all funky in the fall and I cut them down. But it must be something you pick off a bigger plant, a botanical fruit. My guess is squash vegetables and tomatoes, if your climate is warm enough!

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside ?
- Strawberries!

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy,
with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe,
and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.
How did the pear get inside the bottle ?
- They must have placed the bottle over the pear blossom before it became a big fat pear!

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.
- Dwarf, dw.., dw...., ... best not dwell on this any longer...

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.
Can you name at least half of them ?
- Period, comma, question mark, exclamation point, colon, semi-colon, ampersand, parentheses, elipses that was pretty easy actually!

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
- This one is verrry tricky. Do poppy seeds count?

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'
- Shoes, sandals, socks, stockings, slippers, ... those only took 3 seconds ... the last one is... err... umm... strips of newspaper?

Answers To Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends: Boxing.
- But there are points in boxing! And rounds!

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward:
Niagara Falls .. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.
- Yay!

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons: Asparagus and rhubarb.
- Awww. Rhubarb makes sense. Does asparagus have a root that stays underground then?

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside: Strawberry.
- Yay!

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle?
It grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they're small, and are wired in place on the tree.
The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season.
When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.
- Yay!

6. Three English words beginning with "dw":
Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.
- Haha! I had dweeb, too, but dwindle escaped me.

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar:
Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.
- I misspelled semicolon, but who can tell me which these punctuation marks are: - – —?

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh: Lettuce.
- Arg! Except shredded lettuce, I suppose. But then cucumber ought to count as well!

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with 'S': Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
- So not strips of newspaper then...

Metacrock

Re: quiz

Post by Metacrock » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:23 pm

you did pretty good QT.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief