falsh of insight: for a guy called "Grog"

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
falsh of insight: for a guy called "Grog"

Post by Metacrock » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:20 pm

I am expecting Grog from CARM to come over here. I'm expecting to be banned over there.

I suddenly relalize, some people I previously classified with the kind of ateist I can't stand are not only pretty cool, but I feel a sense of solidarity with them because they either understand something of the 60s, (and therefore something of me) or they were there and remember it.

thinking this I can't really look at them in the same harsh light as "ignorant atheists." this has made me realize I've been selfish in the way I've approached my mission on message boards. I have not tired to resinate with people or to reach them. I've only dangled my learning in front of them and then as a defense mechanism rubbed their noses in it.

I allowed my love of debate and use of logic to get in the way of really communicating with them. like I was trying to force them to see things my way by the use of logic.

I feel this is a profound insight for me I want to dwell on it and really take it in.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

tinythinker

Re: falsh of insight: for a guy called "Grog"

Post by tinythinker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:56 pm

Well, that sounds like a very Christ-like thing to do. Buddha-like too. The best of what makes us human.

Banned from CARM, eh? Well, no worries. If you do feel like going back I am sure there will be an opportunity. There always is. And if not, you've got things going pretty well over here.
Adrift in the endless river

QuantumTroll

Post by QuantumTroll » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:32 am

Very insightful post, Meta. I'm glad you've figured this out :)

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:53 am

tinythinker wrote:Well, that sounds like a very Christ-like thing to do. Buddha-like too. The best of what makes us human.

Banned from CARM, eh? Well, no worries. If you do feel like going back I am sure there will be an opportunity. There always is. And if not, you've got things going pretty well over here.

thanks Tiny!

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:54 am

QuantumTroll wrote:Very insightful post, Meta. I'm glad you've figured this out :)

thanks QT

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Kudos to you, Metacrock, not only for coming to a new understanding but for sharing it with us so openly. This is indeed Christlike.

I've had such moments myself, and they're always life-changing. The one I remember most recently was realizing that I need not be shaken by others' criticism or disagreement-- that I need not base my self-worth or the worthiness of my beliefs on how other people react to them. Just thought I'd share that, in solidarity with you. :D
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:Kudos to you, Metacrock, not only for coming to a new understanding but for sharing it with us so openly. This is indeed Christlike.

I've had such moments myself, and they're always life-changing. The one I remember most recently was realizing that I need not be shaken by others' criticism or disagreement-- that I need not base my self-worth or the worthiness of my beliefs on how other people react to them. Just thought I'd share that, in solidarity with you. :D

that's good. I think my boards are better than most because of peolpe like you and Tiny and OTa nd Zor 2nd and Unread and everyone here really.