against Physicalism

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

foresthome
Re: against Physicalism

Post by foresthome » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 am

oops that was supposed to say "you CAN"T use information" that way.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:35 pm

foresthome wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:47 pm
What counts as "information"? The naive everyday sense of the word always relates to agents, human or non-human, but not,
say, atoms (if atom A hits atom B, it is not informing B of its position). So arguments that relate information to physicalism
must be more subtle... This doesn't mean that information DOESN'T supervene on physical arrangements of atoms, forces,
energy, etc. only that you use "information" in that sense as part of a purely physical explanation. (sorry I would refer back to
a specific message but I have to figure out to see the board while I'm responding: maybe it is as simple as just opening the reply
window in a new tab? sorry).
Hi ForestHome, Can you fill us in on what you were responding to?

foresthome

Post by foresthome » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 am

Oops, I think I must have been responding to a post on one of the other forums... or something. I guess I was really tired! I don't see anything about information on this thread... just experience, not the same thing, so I'm not sure what I was thinking.

There is a long tradition in physics etc. starting from Archibald Wheeler to try to find a way to make information more basic than matter, "it from bit" as the slogan is. In a different area, some people in neuroscience have tried to explain consciousness in terms of "integrated information theory", that consciousness is equivalent to coordination of different parts of a very complex organism handling information.

I must have just seen something that triggered thoughts about this ( maybe the p-zombie thing? or experience?) I'm not sure. I'll look over the thread again and try to be more pertinent!

met

Post by met » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 am

It's okay, fh, indirection is allowed here! :o
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:43 pm

Yeah, it's no problem. It was an interesting point. Too interesting to let it remain a "dangler"!