Mind is the best organizing principle we know.

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

The Pixie
Re: Mind is the best organizing principle we know.

Post by The Pixie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:54 pm

met wrote:
The Pixie wrote:... How do you think either impacts on my argument?
It opens the possibility of a constructed (partially) nonlocal, nonphysical (by your definition) distributed mind ... even tho it would still need physical interface(s)... think of Neuromancer, but in spades
Okay. And how do you think either impacts on my argument?

met

Post by met » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:34 pm

What are you talking about?

... that your argument was lame and invalid to start with?
It is not. All the minds we know reside in a physical structure, therefore it must follow that all minds do.
"All the crows we know are black, therefore it follows that all crows are!"

:o

Are you serious?
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:52 pm

met wrote:What are you talking about?

... that your argument was lame and invalid to start with?
It is not. All the minds we know reside in a physical structure, therefore it must follow that all minds do.
At last! Yes, my argument was lame and invalid to start with. It was parodying the argument in the OP, and I was hoping people would have spotted that two pages ago.

"All the minds we know are in physical structures, therefore it follows that all minds are!"

"All the organisation we see comes from minds, therefore it follows that all organisation does!"

They are all nonsense.

met

Post by met » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Could be, but Joe's real point is a bit subler, and part of a larger argument that we have to assume some organizing principle - aka the "TS" - since one is implicit in the very act of thinking ( according to him), so we may as well assume the "best" one - since we'll be assuming one anyway.

He also talks about some other possible Op's, so "mind" is not the only one. And, he'd argue, if there is a " better" one it would have to include and subsume mind too, with all minds unique capacities....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 am

met wrote:Could be, but Joe's real point is a bit subler, and part of a larger argument that we have to assume some organizing principle - aka the "TS" - since one is implicit in the very act of thinking ( according to him), so we may as well assume the "best" one - since we'll be assuming one anyway.

He also talks about some other possible Op's, so "mind" is not the only one. And, he'd argue, if there is a " better" one it would have to include and subsume mind too, with all minds unique capacities....
very insightful Met thanks for makimng my views sound sophisticated,
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief