Jim here's more fun

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Jim here's more fun

Post by Metacrock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Dr. Reppert
My existence, here and now
At the end of the day there has to be an "us," a me, and a you, as actual beings. But if physicalism what there is are particles, and people can add those particles up and call them a "me" or a "you." It is often said that physicalism threatens the idea of a future existence beyond the grave, and we don't like that. Actually, it threatens my present existence here and now. I don't see you avoid reducing it to some kind of "user illusion."
Dusty
tardusty Psyche said...
Joe Hinman said..August 26, 2017 10:55 AM.

" I am not determined,I don't have to say these things I cud avoid it if I wished."
--Then that would be what is determined.

Free will is an illusion. Of course you feel yourself making decisions, so you have the sense of freedom. That is the illusion, that false sense of freedom.

You do what you want, so you feel free, but what controls your wants? One day you feel like vanilla so you choose vanilla. The next day you feel like chocolate, so you choose chocolate. You sense yourself making choices, so you feel free. But where did your want for vanilla come from one day and your want for chocolate come from the next day?

Free will is an illusion on several grounds. On determinism you are not free, and on indeterminism you are still a slave to whatever randomly pops into your being.

On studies of neural signals you are not free since your decision is made before you even know it.

On an omniscient god you cannot be free in any sense. You can only do 1 thing, the thing the omniscient god already knows you will do.
August 26, 2017 11:20 AM
Keith Barracks said...
The point of the Argument is that if all emergent laws and properties can be reduced down to Edwards matter energy or put simply, some deterministic material on the most basic level, then it follows that the only thing that truely exists would be the most basic elements in combination and in action. It's absurd to say that some combination of these elements produces something greater then it's parts; that a new law or property arises in a sense ex Nihilo if reductionism is true.

And with that said, You and I aren't persons at all, but a all combination of deterministic material. We've been decieved into believing that we are actually "people"; that we are more then the sum of our material parts. You and I are simply matter- energy or deterministic material. We are nothing but elaborate sticks and stones.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogI ... 7198381865
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

JBSptfn

Re: Jim here's more fun

Post by JBSptfn » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Stardusty is someone who comments on Skep's blog from time to time. Not surprising that you are arguing with him.

You should also check this first comment out from Ed Babinski, a person who Holding has had problems with in the past:
Particles? Is that literally what physicalism says? Today we know energy and matter are the same mysterious thing, matter-energy. And it can travel as fast as light. And inside the human brain there are a trillion interconnecting links between a hundred billion or more cells, constantly processing, even during dreamless sleep. And those cells grow and change in response to a lifetime of sensory input and in conversation with each other, and in conversation socially with other human beings, growing and changing. Consciousness is a process, a holistic process. Yes, it is difficult to find "you" or "I" when studying only a part of the brain-mind-nervous-body-socially engaged system. What kind of "I" does a person possess, what kind of self-knowledge, if they are raised with little to no human contact from birth onward, in an isolated ward of an orphanage? They will have learning difficulties their entire lives. While Koko the gorilla, raised by humans, with constant sensory contact and enrichment and a teacher, developed an enriched brain, and can express herself in sign language, even has a sense of "I," and a sense of her death as well, judging by an anecdote in which she was asked where gorillas go when they die. She responded, "comfortable hole, bye."
Sounds like another atheist combining consciousness with cognitive function.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:08 am

yes exactly,k I liked your comment on that blog
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Metacrock wrote:Dr. Reppert
My existence, here and now
At the end of the day there has to be an "us," a me, and a you, as actual beings. But if physicalism what there is are particles, and people can add those particles up and call them a "me" or a "you." It is often said that physicalism threatens the idea of a future existence beyond the grave, and we don't like that. Actually, it threatens my present existence here and now. I don't see you avoid reducing it to some kind of "user illusion."
Dusty
tardusty Psyche said...
Joe Hinman said..August 26, 2017 10:55 AM.

" I am not determined,I don't have to say these things I cud avoid it if I wished."
--Then that would be what is determined.

Free will is an illusion. Of course you feel yourself making decisions, so you have the sense of freedom. That is the illusion, that false sense of freedom.

You do what you want, so you feel free, but what controls your wants? One day you feel like vanilla so you choose vanilla. The next day you feel like chocolate, so you choose chocolate. You sense yourself making choices, so you feel free. But where did your want for vanilla come from one day and your want for chocolate come from the next day?

Free will is an illusion on several grounds. On determinism you are not free, and on indeterminism you are still a slave to whatever randomly pops into your being.

On studies of neural signals you are not free since your decision is made before you even know it.

On an omniscient god you cannot be free in any sense. You can only do 1 thing, the thing the omniscient god already knows you will do.
August 26, 2017 11:20 AM
Keith Barracks said...
The point of the Argument is that if all emergent laws and properties can be reduced down to Edwards matter energy or put simply, some deterministic material on the most basic level, then it follows that the only thing that truely exists would be the most basic elements in combination and in action. It's absurd to say that some combination of these elements produces something greater then it's parts; that a new law or property arises in a sense ex Nihilo if reductionism is true.

And with that said, You and I aren't persons at all, but a all combination of deterministic material. We've been decieved into believing that we are actually "people"; that we are more then the sum of our material parts. You and I are simply matter- energy or deterministic material. We are nothing but elaborate sticks and stones.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogI ... 7198381865
He sounds even worse than skep. I didn't think that was possible.

met

Post by met » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:21 pm

We've been decieved into believing that we are actually "people"
I so love this sentence! 8-)

I so agree with this sentence! :ugeek:
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton