Looking below the surface

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Jim B.
Re: Looking below the surface

Post by Jim B. » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:15 pm

met wrote:So I guess there's a question whether the scientific establishment agreeing to include "intrinsic" qualities in a description of the physical could in itself uncover anything really new or not?

Almost seems like such a move couldn't uncover any new "facts", not using a concrete or scientific def of "fact" anyway, so it could only be a result of as conceptual revolution, which is what you suggested above ..... altho it would be a paradigm shift that could lead to new or different grounds for further empirical investigations once accepted. But it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that could be originally EXTRACTED from extrinsic experiments, as there seems an irremediable difference in terms and basic assumptions? This suggests that the physicalist-only paradigm will have to first be exhausted (or, perhaps in an equivalent sense if we agree with Planck's famous comment, that the current generation of consciousness investigators will have to die off ... ;-) )

.... seems like we agree quite a lot here -- but, well, these were the basic issues running thru my brain ... or, um, "mind".....as I perused you guys's exchanges on this thread....
Wow. Someone who actually understands what I've been writing. I was starting to forget what that was like! :shock: :shock: