20 questions

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Re: 20 questions

Post by Metacrock » Mon May 29, 2017 12:27 pm

The Pixie wrote:So basically you are re-defining "god" to be so broad that it covers the first cause, whatever the nature of the first cause actually is.

Okay, I can play that game. I agree, there is some first cause. Personally I see no reason to suppose god is conscious or sentient or cares one jot about humanity or indeed bears any relationship to the concept of "god" presented in the Bible.
God has always been identified as first cause, that;s all the back to Aristotle. :idea:
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Tue May 30, 2017 6:27 am

Metacrock wrote:
The Pixie wrote:So basically you are re-defining "god" to be so broad that it covers the first cause, whatever the nature of the first cause actually is.

Okay, I can play that game. I agree, there is some first cause. Personally I see no reason to suppose god is conscious or sentient or cares one jot about humanity or indeed bears any relationship to the concept of "god" presented in the Bible.
God has always been identified as first cause, that;s all the back to Aristotle. :idea:
They used to think the world was flat. A long history of belief does not make a claim true.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 am

The Pixie wrote:
Metacrock wrote:

They used to think the world was flat. A long history of belief does not make a claim true.

that is a nonsensitive. We are not comparing two sets of factual information but a belief system.you accused me me of altering the belief system as to make it unclear too broad. I argue I'm not not changing it at all it's always been thought of this way you come back with some guys were wrong in the past,that is not at issue.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:34 am

Metacrock wrote:
The Pixie wrote:
Metacrock wrote:God has always been identified as first cause, that;s all the back to Aristotle. :idea:
that is a nonsensitive. We are not comparing two sets of factual information but a belief system.you accused me me of altering the belief system as to make it unclear too broad. I argue I'm not not changing it at all it's always been thought of this way you come back with some guys were wrong in the past,that is not at issue.
So you are claiming that your idea of "god" is the same as Aristotle's?

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:12 pm

The Pixie wrote:
Could you accept the idea of a non-personal God as first cause?

You're right, but it can help tell us what a particular concept is, what's essential to it.