can science disprove the soul?

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Re: can science disprove the soul?

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:54 am

The Pixie wrote:The important distinction to me is the supernatural bit. The soul or spirit is something that has a non-physical existence. The brain is clearly physical. The mind and consciousness (and ego and id) are not physical, but rely on a physical medium to exist (analogous to software refering hardware). The spirit/soul is something else, something that can exist without the body.

If anyone here is arguing about whether mind or consciousness exist, they are fighting a straw man; we all believe in them.
you are arguing your own argument not that guy's. so fair enoigh the problem is we don't know that brain causes mind or if it just accesses it. Mind is real and there is a distinction. Mind is the medium through which we access the world not brain. Besides the Bible doesn't use the term supernatural and it doesn't define the nature spirit or soul.

I don't see why we can't equate spirit with consciousness and that iwth mind.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:36 am

Metacrock wrote:I don't see why we can't equate spirit with consciousness and that iwth mind.
Then we all agree that spirit exists.

And ends when we die.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:09 am

The Pixie wrote:
Metacrock wrote:I don't see why we can't equate spirit with consciousness and that iwth mind.
Then we all agree that spirit exists.

And ends when we die.
sure how about that! :mrgreen:
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief