what can you prove?

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Jim B.
Re: what can you prove?

Post by Jim B. » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:02 pm

The Pixie wrote:
Jim B. wrote:That's not at all what I got from the OP, and apparently you didn;t either since you commended him on making a good point.
I think he did make a good point, but not the one he was aiming for.
In fact, here's what he wrote a few posts later:
I actually believe not much we can prove. Proof is for math and logic. There is a level in those you can't prove.
My suspicion is that he said this to equate how well prove say relativity is with his own claims. Neither are proven, in the technical sense, so we are justified in saying they both are, because in both cases we have reason to think they are true. The reality is that relativity is very well supported, and even then is taken as being an accurate model, but not not perfect, whilst we merely have warrant to think Metacrock's claims are true.
Isn't Metacrock's main point about rational warrant for God?

Maybe your suspicions are right in this sense. My experience of your suspicions about what I have said and what my motivations have been is that they are untrustworthy.

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Jim B. wrote:... My experience of your suspicions about what I have said and what my motivations have been is that they are untrustworthy.
Agreed. That is why I called them "suspicions" and then try to determine if they are right or wrong.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:00 pm

The Pixie wrote:
Jim B. wrote:... My experience of your suspicions about what I have said and what my motivations have been is that they are untrustworthy.
Agreed. That is why I called them "suspicions" and then try to determine if they are right or wrong.
Sure, but if your suspicions are characteristically wrong about people, and all in the same or very similar ways, then the focus shifts more to you than to the people you have suspicions about.

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:48 am

Jim B. wrote:Sure, but if your suspicions are characteristically wrong about people, and all in the same or very similar ways, then the focus shifts more to you than to the people you have suspicions about.
If that was true, then yes.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 pm

The Pixie wrote:
Jim B. wrote:Sure, but if your suspicions are characteristically wrong about people, and all in the same or very similar ways, then the focus shifts more to you than to the people you have suspicions about.
If that was true, then yes.
Well, I would say it's true in my experience of your responses to what I've written.