I miss the old days

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
I miss the old days

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:43 am

i remember way back there atheists anytime anywhere you wonted to argue, most of them were stupid but not all of them. They were all really willing to argue,
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Re: I miss the old days

Post by Magritte » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:37 am

What if they gave a war and nobody came?

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:55 am

Magritte wrote:What if they gave a war and nobody came?

hey man, great to you back buddy! where you been? how about this Trump nightmare?

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:41 am

I've been parenting and working.

I take it your health has been good or at least not so bad? You seem like you have some energy here and on the blog. :mrgreen:

This is a pretty good article about the support for Trump on the ground:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... supporters

It's easy to mock The Donald and his silly hair and silly ideas but what's supporting him is an angry tide of suffering, miserable people in red states. I don't think this makes Trump any more appealing as a person or as a candidate but it's important to understand that people are hurting, feeling cheated, and Trump is benefitting from that.

met

Post by met » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:03 am

WB, Magritte! :)

Really good article...
One white evangelical tea party supporter in his early 60s had lost a good job as a sales manager with a telecommunications company when it merged with another. He took the shock bravely. But when he tried to get rehired, it was terrible. "I called, emailed, called, emailed. I didn't hear a thing. That was totally an age discrimination thing." At last he found a job at $10 an hour, the same wage he had earned at a summer factory union job as a college student 40 years ago. Age brought no dignity. Nor had the privilege linked to being white and male trickled down to him ... he felt like a stranger in his own land.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:10 pm

Magritte wrote:I've been parenting and working.

I take it your health has been good or at least not so bad? You seem like you have some energy here and on the blog. :mrgreen:

It's easy to mock The Donald and his silly hair and silly ideas but what's supporting him is an angry tide of suffering, miserable people in red states. I don't think this makes Trump any more appealing as a person or as a candidate but it's important to understand that people are hurting, feeling cheated, and Trump is benefitting from that.
Good to have you back. That was a good article. Sure, there's a tide of anger and suffering that Trump's surfing on and exploiting. I'm sympathetic but also frustrated that the people profiled here keep defiantly voting against their own interests. I think that a good portion of them saw Obama's election as a coup for the black and brown underclass (marshalled by the liberal elites) there to take tax dollars away from hardworking whites. It's not all economic (imo); there are major racial, cultural and nationalist elements too. They misread the disruptions of global capitalism into a simple politics of resentment, of us vs. them. Remember the "I want my country back!" refrain heard as soon as Obama was elected in '08?

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:41 am

I'm makim g very slow progress but it is progress. My legs are stonger, i have no infections, bed sores almost gone.

I know that. Bernie would have been the obvious choice to win those guys over. I don't like Hillary, But she is obviously the uch lesser of two evils. It's like a choice between that some guy who robbed a 7/11 once and Al Capone.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:45 am

Jim B. wrote:

Good to have you back. That was a good article. Sure, there's a tide of anger and suffering that Trump's surfing on and exploiting. I'm sympathetic but also frustrated that the people profiled here keep defiantly voting against their own interests. I think that a good portion of them saw Obama's election as a coup for the black and brown underclass (marshalled by the liberal elites) there to take tax dollars away from hardworking whites. It's not all economic (imo); there are major racial, cultural and nationalist elements too. They misread the disruptions of global capitalism into a simple politics of resentment, of us vs. them. Remember the "I want my country back!" refrain heard as soon as Obama was elected in '08?

great point Jim. a point often overlooked

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:06 am

look at real clear politics. Hillary is winning by electoral votes. by kike 69 votes over the 270 needed. But It's going to come down to Georgia,south Carolina Ohio and florida maybe, Or Iowa.

every other week the popular vote narrows to 1%/ today it's 1.4% lead she had, Last week it was 7 or 8 %. It oges up and down like that and has all summer long.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:55 am

met wrote:WB, Magritte! :)

Really good article...
One white evangelical tea party supporter in his early 60s had lost a good job as a sales manager with a telecommunications company when it merged with another. He took the shock bravely. But when he tried to get rehired, it was terrible. "I called, emailed, called, emailed. I didn't hear a thing. That was totally an age discrimination thing." At last he found a job at $10 an hour, the same wage he had earned at a summer factory union job as a college student 40 years ago. Age brought no dignity. Nor had the privilege linked to being white and male trickled down to him ... he felt like a stranger in his own land.
Hi met! It's the new normal, imo: https://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/9/4 ... -Labor-Day
On this three-day weekend celebrating the American worker, no one would blame you for thinking, since you're not a temp (or your company doesn’t abuse temps, or your job hasn't traditionally been done by temps) that you’re immune to this trend. Maybe you’d like to believe your job is just too dang complicated, or you’re just too gosh-darned good at it after all these years, to ever be replaced by a mere temp.

You might be right on almost all of that. But here are some points to consider: The longer you’ve been around and the more you make—the more vacation time you earn and the more vested you get in a 401K match—the more vulnerable you are. Because all that means is the company can save more if they replace you with a cheaper model. If you can be replaced for 60 percent of your total comp package, and the company—rightly or wrongly—projects they’ll get 61 percent or more of the results you provided from that replacement, in the top-secret spreadsheets quietly discussed in remote corner offices and gilded board rooms among senior management, ruining your life looks like a smart, fiscally sound trade off.