Pope Francis may have just saved the world

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Magritte
Pope Francis may have just saved the world

Post by Magritte » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:39 am

Maybe that's a slight exaggeration but this represents a tectonic shift in the world:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-franc ... -1.3118149

Now the problem is, right wing Catholics will be forced to choose between Catholicism and their economic and political religion - and what will they choose?
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

met

Re: Pope Francis may have just saved the world

Post by met » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:21 pm

I think money may go away eventually. It's gotten so abstract, just tap a card on a little screen, already....& people will have more and more trouble believing in it.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 pm

I like to think we're headed for a post-scarcity, more or less post-money world, where people primarily pursue their interests and common goals, and people who are still overly interested in money are seen as a bit queer.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:00 pm

money wont go away, they love it too much, and it keeps the masses quite. cash might go away.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Metacrock wrote:money wont go away, they love it too much, and it keeps the masses quite. cash might go away.
Cynic! I want my Star Trek society!

met

Post by met » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Metacrock wrote:money wont go away, they love it too much, and it keeps the masses quite. cash might go away.
I think what I'm saying is ... if cash goes away, money might (eventually) become too abstract to be a real "thing" ... cuz it's just numbers! ;)
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 am

Without money, how can the powerful exert power in this post-aristocratic society? No, money isn't going to go away. I think Jesus was right when he said, "You will always have the poor with you."
Wag more.
Bark less.

met

Post by met » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Generally, in many places in Western societies, "poverty" is already limited. Homelessness - such as there is in such places - generally arises form addictions and other psychological/emotionally-based issues. I don't know if that's true about the US.

In any case, even in a society without money, you'd still have hierarchy and self-worth issues & people valuing themselves and others at different levels. Perhaps it'd be based on "merit" - smarts, looks, creativity, physical prowess or whatever - but all those things are inherited just as easily as wealth, so I'm not sure it'd be any better ...
Dr Ward Blanton

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:27 pm

I think the real issue isn't valuing at different levels, but power. The powerful aren't going to accept a society where they lose their power. And money is power. Bottom line.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:40 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:I think the real issue isn't valuing at different levels, but power. The powerful aren't going to accept a society where they lose their power. And money is power. Bottom line.
Yes, I doubt that money is going away, at least in the foreseeable future. It will get more abstract along with "virtually" everything else. It will probably reach a natural limit where rampant greed has hollowed out society to the point where it begins to implode.

I think the real scarcity is going to be in real concrete things, experiences with solid 3d objects and people, and especially in social bonds that last longer than a few months and really mean something. maybe real wealth will someday be seen in terms of love and mutual commitment. Probably not in my lifetime.