Dawkins cringe thread

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Magritte
Dawkins cringe thread

Post by Magritte » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:39 am

Look at this nasty-ass bigot. He's long since blown past "bad spokesman" status and is now well into "crazy uncle" territory. No one else can make me cringe like Dawkins can.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

KR Wordgazer

Re: Dawkins cringe thread

Post by KR Wordgazer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:50 am

Not only a bigot, but sexist. There's no reason to emphasize that Julia Sweeney is "the lovely" - in fact, it makes no sense in this context. What would her looks have to do with her world view? "The well-read" or "the highly competent" or something would make much more sense.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:30 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:Not only a bigot, but sexist. There's no reason to emphasize that Julia Sweeney is "the lovely" - in fact, it makes no sense in this context. What would her looks have to do with her world view? "The well-read" or "the highly competent" or something would make much more sense.
Good catch, I didn't even notice that. "Not Victoria Jackson" would also suffice. :mrgreen:

BTW here's a link to that Julia Sweeney video - https://youtu.be/M76xDtRUx_8
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm

I agree with KRW that "The Lovely..." is a sexist comment. The video itself I found pretty unobjectionable but I agree with Magritte in finding Dawkins cringe-worthy. Remember his tweet about a hypothetical woman pregnant with a down syndrome child?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... rome-tweet

met

Post by met » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:03 pm

What's strange to me is how few atheists- famed for their liberalism - even notice that those guys are mostly neocons. Very down on the islamic world.....m
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:48 pm

met wrote:What's strange to me is how few atheists- famed for their liberalism - even notice that those guys are mostly neocons. Very down on the islamic world.....m
Neocons were originally Truman Democrats but I don't know how 'liberal.' Almost everybody in AMerica was a war monger back then, the only difference was the degree.

It's a strange debate going on, where many fundie Christians are siding with anti-Muslim atheists like Dawkins, Harris and Maher. But you're right -- if someone agrees with us on a very important issue, the temptation to look the other way on other less-than-admirable beliefs of theirs is definitely there.

Superfund

Post by Superfund » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:36 am

I can understand the dissapointment I sure Dawkins has caused many appeals to Christ, I can imagine, Like, Oh Christ not again.. etc :)

Willaim Lane Craig is arguabley as bad, out of curiosity I had a look at his "Eastwooding Richard Dawkins" on youtube clip, If I was stuck in front of tv with no off button i'd have to get up and leave the room it was so bad. Fingers down a blackboard kind of bad..

Or the rare times he gets into his rumpa-room theology, those kids books that he published... Because 6 year olds definatley need to be taught to moralise the wars of Leviticus or whatever book it was from.. :/

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:27 pm

WLC works best in a debate where he can make rapid fire points that are hard to respond to en masse. On paper he's less impressive. I couldn't finish Reasonable Faith. It was full of one howler after another.

People are complex, aren't they? I used to have the naive view that ail atheists were liberals like myself, but there's plenty of of right wing and libertarian atheists too. Penn Jillette doesn't just make me cringe, he makes me want to crawl under a rock and die. Another unpleasant surprise for me, by the by, is how many liberals aren't "reality based" at all when it comes to things like vaccination (sometimes medicine in general) and 9/11.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Magritte wrote:WLC works best in a debate where he can make rapid fire points that are hard to respond to en masse. On paper he's less impressive. I couldn't finish Reasonable Faith. It was full of one howler after another.
Yeah, I'm not that impressed with WLC from his televised debates. He's to theism what Dawkins is to atheism. There are much better people out there to represent those positions, but for whatever reason aren't deemed to be as 'marketable.'
Magritte wrote:People are complex, aren't they? I used to have the naive view that ail atheists were liberals like myself, but there's plenty of of right wing and libertarian atheists too. Penn Jillette doesn't just make me cringe, he makes me want to crawl under a rock and die. Another unpleasant surprise for me, by the by, is how many liberals aren't "reality based" at all when it comes to things like vaccination (sometimes medicine in general) and 9/11.
I agree about Jilette and about neither side having a monoploy on mass-delusional belief. Some of the most dogmatic, inflexible people I've ever known have been on the far left.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sat May 02, 2015 10:33 am

I renounce and repudiate atheism. If you must call me anything, call me a secular humanist. All these new atheist guys are jackasses and idiots with the reasoning ability of a turnip. Look at sleazy neocon Sam Harris trying to milk a debate out of Chomsky:

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the- ... -discourse

I think this guy's twitter stream sums it up best: