On climate change and what to do about it

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

sgttomas
On climate change and what to do about it

Post by sgttomas » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Came across this blog recently. Overall great blog. This post says precisely what I think about the topic of climate change.
https://achemistinlangley.wordpress.com ... te-change/

I work for an oil pipeline company. I ensure that safe, responsible decisions are made that reduce the risk of catastrophe and degradation. I am also working towards bringing the first geothermal power plant to Canada in my "free time". The perception of the investment community is legitimately luke-warm because of the payback. But I see geothermal as essential to a healthy economy and a healthy ecology. It's arguably the best green alternative, where it is feasible, and I also know that the typical plant costs can be drastically reduced with ingenuity and an understanding of efficient, local resources. There are really stupid "solutions" proposed to climate change that will have a net-negative impact on both the climate/ecology and our economy.

A voice like this Chemist in Langley (apparently he blogs on HuffPo too) is so refreshing.

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

rvhill

Re: On climate change and what to do about it

Post by rvhill » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:35 pm

the problem about climate change is it has never been about climate change. it always been about over population. before it was called global warming it was called the people bomb, but people don't want to dell with over population, so they tried to make it about some other secondary effect.

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Just let "them" starve to death, finance dictators and withhold critical resources like usual. It's not like industrialized countries bother much with procreation. What's your perspective?

-sgtt
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:13 pm

rvhill,

Sorry if I came across as being mean or ridiculing or anything. I mean it sincerely: what's your perspective? What you gave me is essentially the outcome of a prior string of reasoning. What I was saying was that given our present actions and attitudes whereby we will keep the impoverished being poor, how would climate change factor in?

I'm not seeing the connection.

Peace,
-sgttomas