I actually wrote a new blog post! Would Jesus Wash Osama bin

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
MonolithTMA
I actually wrote a new blog post! Would Jesus Wash Osama bin

Post by MonolithTMA » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:37 am

"One of the things that has struck me for years regarding the canonized New Testament's portrayal of Jesus is his servant nature. I can just imagine the disciples reactions as this one who they revered knelt and performed what could be seen as such a menial task."

You can read the whole post here:
http://atheists-and-christians.blogspot ... -feet.html
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong

Metacrock

Re: I actually wrote a new blog post! Would Jesus Wash Osama bin

Post by Metacrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:05 pm

MonolithTMA wrote:"One of the things that has struck me for years regarding the canonized New Testament's portrayal of Jesus is his servant nature. I can just imagine the disciples reactions as this one who they revered knelt and performed what could be seen as such a menial task."

You can read the whole post here:
http://atheists-and-christians.blogspot ... -feet.html

it's a trap. if he did then he's helping terrorists. this is so typical of atheist. if he wouldn't then he's not loving.you are just trying to be a typical atheist.

so the proper answer is, show me wash basin. whose wash basin is it?

it's a joke. sorry I'm just trying to be funny and bombing badly.

seriously, good question. but he washed his disciples feet, not the Roman's. While I'm sure he would not be mean to the Romans, he would help one in trouble, he did preform the humiliating servant act for the community not for the outsiders.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Metacrock wrote:it's a trap. if he did then he's helping terrorists. this is so typical of atheist. if he wouldn't then he's not loving.you are just trying to be a typical atheist.
I had a pit in my stomach when I read that.

Then I got to this part and felt better. :mrgreen:
Metacrock wrote:it's a joke. sorry I'm just trying to be funny and bombing badly.
Metacrock wrote:seriously, good question. but he washed his disciples feet, not the Roman's. While I'm sure he would not be mean to the Romans, he would help one in trouble, he did preform the humiliating servant act for the community not for the outsiders.
That's why I posted the love your enemies verse too. He may not have washed the Romans feet, but he did heal the Roman centurion's servant, and I would assume he washed Judas' feet right along with the rest of the disciples.
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:11 pm

MonolithTMA wrote:
Metacrock wrote:it's a trap. if he did then he's helping terrorists. this is so typical of atheist. if he wouldn't then he's not loving.you are just trying to be a typical atheist.
I had a pit in my stomach when I read that.

Then I got to this part and felt better. :mrgreen:
Metacrock wrote:it's a joke. sorry I'm just trying to be funny and bombing badly.
gave you a start! I did that to be amusing. You know I wouldn't jump on your case with some heavy fundie trip. :mrgreen:

Metacrock wrote:seriously, good question. but he washed his disciples feet, not the Roman's. While I'm sure he would not be mean to the Romans, he would help one in trouble, he did preform the humiliating servant act for the community not for the outsiders.
That's why I posted the love your enemies verse too. He may not have washed the Romans feet, but he did heal the Roman centurion's servant, and I would assume he washed Judas' feet right along with the rest of the disciples.[/quote]

yea exactly, good point. He extended compassion to the enemies but he saved the real servant leader stuff for the group. After all he was illustrating leadership, he's not going teach that to the Romans by washing their feet.

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:00 pm

I think the issue isn't whether foot washing was a lesson meant for the a certain group who was ready to hear it but whether everyone is worthy of Christ as the suffering servant. I would have to say yes.
Adrift in the endless river

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:31 pm

tinythinker wrote:I think the issue isn't whether foot washing was a lesson meant for the a certain group who was ready to hear it but whether everyone is worthy of Christ as the suffering servant. I would have to say yes.

well yes and no.

Gwarlroge

Post by Gwarlroge » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:04 pm

I mean, how are we "worthy" of Christ as the suffering servant? If anything, we are all failures--unworthy.

Gwarlroge

Post by Gwarlroge » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:09 pm

(i.e. I think I have misunderstood you, Tiny)

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:16 pm

I think it would be best said that no one human is any more worthy than another, if you can't accept that we are all worthy.
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:34 pm

I guess I think . . . well, Christ died for Osama bin Laden's sins.

Would Christ wash Osama's feet? I think He would, if that were what Osama needed. However, if what Osama needed were a fiery rebuke like the Pharisees received, that is what Christ would give him.

I know Jesus loves bin Laden-- how He manages to do that is beyond my ken. But what Jesus would do for bin Laden would be neither more nor less than exactly what the man needed spiritually. And I don't know what that is.
Wag more.
Bark less.