Christians and Sabbath

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
SayaOtonashi
Christians and Sabbath

Post by SayaOtonashi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:38 pm

Are many Christians sinning for worshiping not on a Saturday?

met

Re: Christians and Sabbath

Post by met » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:27 pm

What do you think? I think Paul is pretty clear about his view, at least, on that exact point in Ro 14?
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Christians have rationalised ignoring all the Biblical laws they find inconvenient. Paul was the first to do so (as in Romans 14, as Met says). At that time they were trying to sell Chrstianity to the pagans, and the idea of circumcision was a major barrier. Christianity was kind of Judaism Lite - you got the ancient Jewish faith, but none of the awkward rules. Later the sabbath was switched because it was political to distance Christianity from Judaism. I doubt Jesus would approve of any of it, given he specifically stated he had not come to change the laws in any way at all.

met

Post by met » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Someone might suggest - & people have suggested - that the new form, "Xianity", was more like "the heart and prophetic soul" of Judaism, ie taking things all the way back to Abraham, as Paul often does, & stripping away layers of unnecessary ritualistic & nationalistic wrappings....

This internalization and intensification process also "fulfills the law" in obvious ways....but without the law's intrinsic weaknesses, such as its "obscene transgressional injunctions" ...cf Ro7.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

The Pixie

Post by The Pixie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:40 am

met wrote:Someone might suggest - & people have suggested - that the new form, "Xianity", was more like "the heart and prophetic soul" of Judaism, ie taking things all the way back to Abraham, as Paul often does, & stripping away layers of unnecessary ritualistic & nationalistic wrappings....

This internalization and intensification process also "fulfills the law" in obvious ways....but without the law's intrinsic weaknesses, such as its "obscene transgressional injunctions" ...cf Ro7.
What does "fulfills" mean in his context?

In my opinion, this is an excellent example of Christianity twistoing the Bible to say what they want, not what it actually means. I think Jesus was saying that he brought to fruition the prophecies in the books known as the Law and the Phophets.

I would love to know what you think the word means in that context, but when I have asled Christians this previously, I just got evasions.