the web of Jesus' historicity

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator: Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby Metacrock on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:56 am

Doherty and Carrier are both idiots, their views are not worth considering.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9924
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby The Pixie on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:19 am

Metacrock wrote:I did not say that was the only alternative but I was covering that base by arguing against it....

That is exactly what you say:

"The only way the Christ-Myth notion could work is if it were a hoax. "
The Pixie
 
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby SayaOtonashi on Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:14 pm

SayaOtonashi
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby Metacrock on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:03 pm

bull shit. I don't beeline there is a growing number of real scholars who accept that hog wash,I bet most of those who argue it are not historians,

read my work on holistically Jesus

http://religiousapriorijesus-bible.blogspot.com/2010/05/historical-jesus.html
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9924
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby Metacrock on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 pm

The Pixie wrote:
Metacrock wrote:I did not say that was the only alternative but I was covering that base by arguing against it....

That is exactly what you say:

"The only way the Christ-Myth notion could work is if it were a hoax. "



we are talking about two different things. Given the evidence PMPN it would really have to be a hoax because no time to develop as myth,
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9924
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby SayaOtonashi on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:41 am

I notice many reject Jesus dying on the Cross. They state he hanged on a tree, pole or a stake.
SayaOtonashi
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby Metacrock on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:I notice many reject Jesus dying on the Cross. They state he hanged on a tree, pole or a stake.


wrong, that is a euphemism for rectification this is well known,
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9924
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby The Pixie on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 am

Metacrock wrote:we are talking about two different things. Given the evidence PMPN it would really have to be a hoax because no time to develop as myth,

Coming back to this rather later...

How long does a myth take?

Between the two earliest gospels, Mark and Peter, and the later, Matthew, Luke and John, was what, 20 or so years? In that time all the stories of post-resurrection sighting in and around Jerusalem appeared, despite Mark and Peter explicitly saying Jesus saw the disciples in Galilee. That tells me myths spring up pretty fast.
The Pixie
 
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby Metacrock on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:12 am

The Pixie wrote:
Metacrock wrote:we are talking about two different things. Given the evidence PMPN it would really have to be a hoax because no time to develop as myth,

Coming back to this rather later...

How long does a myth take?

Between the two earliest gospels, Mark and Peter, and the later, Matthew, Luke and John, was what, 20 or so years? In that time all the stories of post-resurrection sighting in and around Jerusalem appeared, despite Mark and Peter explicitly saying Jesus saw the disciples in Galilee. That tells me myths spring up pretty fast.



You are begging the question dude. Assuming it's myth so you can argue that it's myth. Not just a matter of making something up.l It has to become codified.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9924
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: the web of Jesus' historicity

Postby The Pixie on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:52 am

The evidence points to the Jerusalem post-resurrection appearance being myth.

Jesus states he will go ahead of the disciples, to meet them in Galilee:
Mark 14:28 But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee.

The guy (angel?) in the empty tomb says Jesus has already gone ahead of the disciples, to meet them in Galilee:
Mark 16:7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.

The Gospel of Peter agrees; Jesus went on a head and met the disciples in Galilee:
[55] And having gone off, they found the sepulcher opened. And having come forward, they bent down there and saw there a certain young man seated in the middle of the sepulcher, comely and clothed with a splendid robe, who said to them: [56] 'Why have you come? Whom do you seek? Not that one who was crucified? He is risen and gone away. But if you do not believe, bend down and see the place where he lay, because he is not here. For he is risen and gone away to there whence he was sent.' [57] Then the women fled frightened.
[58] Now it was the final day of the Unleavened Bread; and many went out returning to their home since the feast was over. [59] But we twelve disciples of the Lord were weeping and sorrowful; and each one, sorrowful because of what had come to pass, departed to his home. [60] But I, Simon Peter, and my brother Andrew, having taken our nets, went off to the sea. And there was with us Levi of Alphaeus whom the Lord ...

The only accounts of the Jerusalem post-resurrection appearance were written after all the witnesses were dead, and contradict the earlier accounts.
The Pixie
 
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Theology/Bible

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests