Thought about Nontheistic Christianity

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Hazard
Re: Thought about Nontheistic Christianity

Post by Hazard » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:18 am

Metacrock wrote:
Hazard wrote:g-day again 2thePoint, no worries.
You know I was as you were only joking regarding the head chopping, but i liked that. What I like about this particular board, and I have only been here for a very short time so far, is that one seems to be able to say what one believes, thinks, assumes or asserts, without being accused of heresy, satanic teachings, or anything else, as long as the post is conducted in a civil manner and no presonal abuse is meted out against anyone. Refreshing to say the least. I hope to have a small grasp upon God's Word and I am learing each and every day and I like to share what I have learnt. If I am in error, and if my error can be shown to me in the Scriptures I will gladly change in an instant. So far, all I can say regarding your post is what I stated in my previous post; "I agree with all you have said."

Regards,

Haz.

well I am gald both of you are here, 2 and Has. You are both valuable contributors. I have always tired to keep my boards open and support free speech. unfortunately on the old boards some real trolls got on from time to time and I think it ruined things that I tried to tolerate them for so long. I also can lose my temper badly when I feel unfairly attacked or ganged upon.

I think this board is going good. try to spread the word, we need more people.
You are doing a good job mate. This board will grow. Don't worry about loosing your temper when provoked and when necessary. "A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring" (Proverbs 25:26). Jesus sometimes lost it when provoked. I did a study on this very subject on another board and was lampooned, again!? Shall I post it here and see what happens?

Regards.

Haz.

2thePoint

Post by 2thePoint » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:30 am

Hazard wrote: You are doing a good job mate. This board will grow. Don't worry about loosing your temper when provoked and when necessary. "A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring" (Proverbs 25:26). Jesus sometimes lost it when provoked. I did a study on this very subject on another board and was lampooned, again!? Shall I post it here and see what happens?

Regards.

Haz.
I agree Haz. Jesus could be very nasty at times, and Paul could be crude and sarcastic. The problem in message boards is that it's in print and not in person, and that people typically attack each other instead of arguments. It's tough sometimes to separate the two, but there is a huge difference between righteous indignation and just plain indignation. On the other extreme, there are also a lot of believers who are so hypersensitive that the slightest disagreement is taken as a personal attack.

Maybe this will turn out to be one of those very rare places where people can be allowed to passionately defend their views without tearing each other down.

A big problem is that people tend to put others in "packages", that is, if someone believes X, then they must also believe Y and Z, or that X is a slippery slope to Y and Z. This leads to baseless accusations and jumping to conclusions. Another problem is that so many believers are poorly trained in the matter of understanding any given text, Bible or otherwise. We aren't taught to think critically or logically, but to blindly swallow whatever a trusted leader spoons into our mouths. I honestly think most believers have no idea why they believe what they do, but are quick to take offense if anyone believes differently.
Those who know all the answers haven't heard all the questions.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:04 pm

I've been wanting to respond to this for some time, but somehow never did. . . but here goes! :D
2thePoint wrote:I realize I'm about to chop off my own head now, but here goes...

1- God is a being, and a personal one. Non-beings are not self-aware, do not have a "self" at all, and do not possess their own will, thoughts, or power. The God of the Bible is all of that and more.
I agree with this in the sense in which I think you mean it. I think you and Metacrock may misunderstand one another here, because he shies away from the terms "personal" and "being" because they can be limiting in people's minds, making them think of God as just a larger, more powerful Human. I like the term "infinite self-aware Consciousness" better. But terms like "Father" and "Lord" are also very important, without which we cannot understand our relationship to this God.
2-- "There is salvation in no other name" but Jesus (Acts 4:12). "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." (John 3:18). And what does it mean to believe in Jesus for salvation?

"By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures" (1 Cor. 15:2-4).
I agree with this, too, but I also take the Scripture that says "You will seek Me and find Me, if you seek Me with your whole hearts" as being universal. I think it's possible to sincerely seek God outside the Christian understanding (particularly in those cultures where prejudice against Christianity can keep a person from ever even hearing its message clearly) and to be saved by Christ without knowing that His name is Jesus. This is not the same thing as saying "all religions are alike" or "all faiths lead to God." I definitely believe that God is revealed in Christ in a way that is special; that Christ is God Incarnate and the Son of God. But I also believe that God is reaching out to every human being, regardless of their situation, and that it's possible to find God in any situation.
"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let that person be under God's curse! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let that person be under God's curse!" (Gal. 1:6-9)

3-- The word "Christian" means "Christ follower". Anyone not following the Christ of the Bible is therefore not a Christian, and the "Christ of the Bible" is the Jesus of point 2.
I agree with this, with the exception stated above. I think it's impossible to fully understand or grasp God with our finite human minds. I think God meets us all where we are and draws us to Him from that point. I think that if someone's understanding does not include the Christian Bible, that does not necessarily preclude them from encountering Christ.
4-- Mysticism is not Christianity; it is never mentioned at all in the NT. We see a lot of personal relationship but never any rituals or postures or mind-clearing meditations. There are "mystical" or unknowable aspects of it all, but the practice of what is commonly called mysticism is foreign to scripture and the gospel.

What is missing from most churches is not "mysticism" but salvation! One must have a Savior in order to have a relationship with him, and most of those churches have been practicing empty rituals for centuries. God is clearing away the chaff, beginning to separate sheep from goats. The ones with the Spirit are the ones who have trusted Jesus alone for salvation-- not mysticism, or philosophy, or ritual.

Yes mysticism is growing, but is leading people away from the gospel like a pied piper. Doctrine (truth) is tossed aside for "the experience", which is as poor a substitute for The Relationship as dry ritual.
You are using the word "mysticism" in a more popular, contemporary sense, 2thePoint, than I have been using it in. In terms of religion, "mysticism" generally means personal, direct encounters with the spiritual, including with the Spirit of God. I personally define a "Christian mystic" as anyone who believes in the basic tenets of Christianity and also has personal encounters with the Divine in prayer and worship. In my way of thinking (and in my experience), the evangelical Protestant branch of Christianity preaches practical Christian mysticism as one of its tenets. It's just that the term more often used is "personal relationship with God."
Paul, the great theologian who could get very deep into all this, also recognized the need for simplicity at times: "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." (1 Cor. 2:2)

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1 Cor. 1:18)
I agree here, too-- in fact, as Jesus said, we can only come to God "as a little child," and it is in the simplicity of that childlike state that we encounter Him in the ways I stated above.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:50 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:I've been wanting to respond to this for some time, but somehow never did. . . but here goes! :D
2thePoint wrote:I realize I'm about to chop off my own head now, but here goes...

1- God is a being, and a personal one. Non-beings are not self-aware, do not have a "self" at all, and do not possess their own will, thoughts, or power. The God of the Bible is all of that and more.
I agree with this in the sense in which I think you mean it. I think you and Metacrock may misunderstand one another here, because he shies away from the terms "personal" and "being" because they can be limiting in people's minds, making them think of God as just a larger, more powerful Human. I like the term "infinite self-aware Consciousness" better. But terms like "Father" and "Lord" are also very important, without which we cannot understand our relationship to this God.

yea, you got it! I really appreciate you Wordgazer. You always dig what I say. The term "father" is an analogical term. God is like and not like a father. all "likeness" also contains "no like" or it wouldn't' make sense. So we must be aware of both the positive likeness and the merely metaphorical nature of metaphors.
2-- "There is salvation in no other name" but Jesus (Acts 4:12). "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." (John 3:18). And what does it mean to believe in Jesus for salvation?

"By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures" (1 Cor. 15:2-4).
I agree with this, too, but I also take the Scripture that says "You will seek Me and find Me, if you seek Me with your whole hearts" as being universal. I think it's possible to sincerely seek God outside the Christian understanding (particularly in those cultures where prejudice against Christianity can keep a person from ever even hearing its message clearly) and to be saved by Christ without knowing that His name is Jesus. This is not the same thing as saying "all religions are alike" or "all faiths lead to God." I definitely believe that God is revealed in Christ in a way that is special; that Christ is God Incarnate and the Son of God. But I also believe that God is reaching out to every human being, regardless of their situation, and that it's possible to find God in any situation.

I agree no other name. Of course. But that doesn't mean all who are saved know that name, ti just means they aren't saved by another name.

Paul said it. "we are all his offspring, he is not far form any one of us." "that which you already worship I will make more plain to you."
"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let that person be under God's curse! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let that person be under God's curse!" (Gal. 1:6-9)

3-- The word "Christian" means "Christ follower". Anyone not following the Christ of the Bible is therefore not a Christian, and the "Christ of the Bible" is the Jesus of point 2.
I agree with this, with the exception stated above. I think it's impossible to fully understand or grasp God with our finite human minds. I think God meets us all where we are and draws us to Him from that point. I think that if someone's understanding does not include the Christian Bible, that does not necessarily preclude them from encountering Christ.

4-- Mysticism is not Christianity; it is never mentioned at all in the NT. We see a lot of personal relationship but never any rituals or postures or mind-clearing meditations. There are "mystical" or unknowable aspects of it all, but the practice of what is commonly called mysticism is foreign to scripture and the gospel.

wrong. it is. it doesn't have to be mentioned as such. it is talked about, it just doesn't use that term. excpet Paul does when he says "I will tell you a mystery." But the thing is they had different ways of talking about it. Chsitian mysticism is diverse. theres a lot there it's not just one thing. but it is in the bible.

btw the Trinity is not mentioned as such in the bible. I bet you are inconsistent to allow this even though the term is not used but with mysticism you demand the term be used.

What is missing from most churches is not "mysticism" but salvation! One must have a Savior in order to have a relationship with him, and most of those churches have been practicing empty rituals for centuries. God is clearing away the chaff, beginning to separate sheep from goats. The ones with the Spirit are the ones who have trusted Jesus alone for salvation-- not mysticism, or philosophy, or ritual.

salvation is not missing from churches. the power of the spirit the anointing for service the second work of grace is missing.
Yes mysticism is growing, but is leading people away from the gospel like a pied piper. Doctrine (truth) is tossed aside for "the experience", which is as poor a substitute for The Relationship as dry ritual.
You are using the word "mysticism" in a more popular, contemporary sense, 2thePoint, than I have been using it in. In terms of religion, "mysticism" generally means personal, direct encounters with the spiritual, including with the Spirit of God. I personally define a "Christian mystic" as anyone who believes in the basic tenets of Christianity and also has personal encounters with the Divine in prayer and worship. In my way of thinking (and in my experience), the evangelical Protestant branch of Christianity preaches practical Christian mysticism as one of its tenets. It's just that the term more often used is "personal relationship with God."
Paul, the great theologian who could get very deep into all this, also recognized the need for simplicity at times: "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." (1 Cor. 2:2)

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1 Cor. 1:18)
I agree here, too-- in fact, as Jesus said, we can only come to God "as a little child," and it is in the simplicity of that childlike state that we encounter Him in the ways I stated above.[/quote]

what she said.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:53 am

Meta said
"yea, you got it! I really appreciate you Wordgazer. You always dig what I say. The term "father" is an analogical term. God is like and not like a father. all "likeness" also contains "no like" or it wouldn't' make sense. So we must be aware of both the positive likeness and the merely metaphorical nature of metaphors"

Can't say i agree with this mate. All this is truly getting over my head but I think I do know what the word Father means in Scripture. In Matt. 28:19 and 1 John 5:7-8 the names The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost are mentioned. These are not just mere titles. The dictionary and grammer teaches us that such words are "nouns" or "substantives" and that all such nouns are names. It is true that not all such names are are always propper names, of certain individuals, but usage in any particular instance shows whether a word becomes a "proper name" or not. In Matt 28:19 it is not just any father or any son or any holy ghost, but it is definately a particular "Father" and "Son" and "Holy Ghost."The definate article "the" is used in both the Greek and English versions before each word. It is "the Father," and "the Son," and "The Holy Ghost." These terms thus used and associated can apply to no other persons on Earth or in Heaven. The term "the Father," in the new testament is not once applied to men or to Christ or to the Holy Ghost, but only and always to the first person of the Godhead, "the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Cor. 11:31; Ephesians 1:3; Eph. 3:14; Coll. 1:3).

Haz.

2thePoint

Post by 2thePoint » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Metacrock wrote:The term "father" is an analogical term. God is like and not like a father. all "likeness" also contains "no like" or it wouldn't' make sense. So we must be aware of both the positive likeness and the merely metaphorical nature of metaphors.
Agreed. God uses this term on himself, but it isn't the only term he uses. No problem here.
"... that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures" (1 Cor. 15:2-4).
I agree no other name. Of course. But that doesn't mean all who are saved know that name, ti just means they aren't saved by another name.
Notice the part I re-quoted: that the gospel a person must hear is the substitutionary death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. They could call him Bob if they want; the important thing is knowing the Person and what he came to do. What scripture is saying is that this is the gospel, and that it must be believed for salvation.
Agreed, we cannot grasp the totality of God, and that he calls everyone and draws them. But they must understand the gospel or they cannot be saved. Otherwise it would be better to never send out missionaries, since that would only give people an opportunity to be lost that didn't exist before. Since we are ordered to spread the gospel, it must be necessary. But above all, we must trust God to be just and fair, whether he tells us every detail or not. All we know is that we must spread the gospel, and in order to do that, we must know it ourselves.
4-- Mysticism is not Christianity; it is never mentioned at all in the NT. We see a lot of personal relationship but never any rituals or postures or mind-clearing meditations...
wrong. it is. it doesn't have to be mentioned as such. it is talked about, it just doesn't use that term. excpet Paul does when he says "I will tell you a mystery." But the thing is they had different ways of talking about it. Chsitian mysticism is diverse. theres a lot there it's not just one thing. but it is in the bible.
Show me where anyone in the NT had to do certain things, assume certain postures, repeat certain phrases or words, etc. If it is in the Bible, please give the references.

And if you know "mysticism" is not confined to only one definition, then why do you keep insisting that I (or some other group of people) don't have it or understand it?
btw the Trinity is not mentioned as such in the bible. I bet you are inconsistent to allow this even though the term is not used but with mysticism you demand the term be used.
I'm sure I went over this before, but I'll try again. We know of the Trinity by the fact that three distinct individuals are called one God. They are not "modes" or "offices" but persons. Otherwise, many scriptures would be senseless, such as where Jesus was baptized and the Spirit landed on him, and the Father spoke from heaven, all at one instance.

Now contrast how I know about the Trinity with your claim about mysticism (which you need to precisely define). Where is any teaching, example, incident, instruction, etc. that supports your belief?

BTW, saying "I bet you are inconsistent..." is mockery. Please stop jumping to wild conclusions about me.
salvation is not missing from churches. the power of the spirit the anointing for service the second work of grace is missing.
What would you accept as proof of the power of the Spirit? Is it found in outward expression only? In miracles? You are saying that this power is missing; please show us the evidence. On the other hand, I can show you lack of salvation by what people believe, and in many polls I've seen, they deny one or more essentials of the gospel. That's why they are dead.
You are using the word "mysticism" in a more popular, contemporary sense, 2thePoint, than I have been using it in.
Great, finally we'll get your definition. ;)
In terms of religion, "mysticism" generally means personal, direct encounters with the spiritual, including with the Spirit of God. I personally define a "Christian mystic" as anyone who believes in the basic tenets of Christianity and also has personal encounters with the Divine in prayer and worship. In my way of thinking (and in my experience), the evangelical Protestant branch of Christianity preaches practical Christian mysticism as one of its tenets. It's just that the term more often used is "personal relationship with God."
Your definition certainly is not the same as that of the "desert fathers" whose mysticism is overtaking the churches. That's why many of us don't use the term "Christian mystic", because it is so heavily associated with the pagan meaning.

Who is to say I never have such "encounters" with God? Who is to say this about entire groups of people? What I've been objecting to is your practice of labeling groups of people, or individuals you don't know much about, as being "unspiritual". And if your definition of "mystical" is identical to "personal relationship", then why use the more vague term? We must be clear that what Christianity is about is completely unlike other religions.

If this "personal relationship" is the same as that practiced by orthodoxy, then why do orthodox label people (and entire denominations) "unspiritual"? There must be a difference or we wouldn't be accused of this.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:12 pm

2thePoint wrote:Great, finally we'll get your definition. ;)
In terms of religion, "mysticism" generally means personal, direct encounters with the spiritual, including with the Spirit of God. I personally define a "Christian mystic" as anyone who believes in the basic tenets of Christianity and also has personal encounters with the Divine in prayer and worship. In my way of thinking (and in my experience), the evangelical Protestant branch of Christianity preaches practical Christian mysticism as one of its tenets. It's just that the term more often used is "personal relationship with God."
Your definition certainly is not the same as that of the "desert fathers" whose mysticism is overtaking the churches. That's why many of us don't use the term "Christian mystic", because it is so heavily associated with the pagan meaning.
Well, actually, :oops: that's my definition, 2ThePoint-- Metacrock was just saying he agreed with it. But the "quote" command somehow didn't work quite right in his post, and it came out looking like he had said it. :)
And if your definition of "mystical" is identical to "personal relationship", then why use the more vague term? We must be clear that what Christianity is about is completely unlike other religions.
Well, here's the dictionary definition I gave in the other thread:
KR Wordgazer wrote: "Mysticism" as defined by the Online Dictionary, is "immediate consciousness of the transcendant or ultimate reality of God; the experience of such communion. . ."
It's a sad thing that the term has recently become connotative only of Eastern pantheistic thought; but that doesn't mean we can't use it in its old sense. I apologize for the miscommunication. The thing is that "personal relationship with God" is perhaps more vague to non-Protestants than "Christian Mysticism" is. To some, "personal relationship" has been interpreted as a mindset that God is your own "personal" God, like a "personal" wristwatch or a "personal servant." I wished to avoid that misunderstanding. What I meant was the kind of personal relationship with God where one actually senses God's Presence at times-- the "immediate consciousness of the transcendant or ultimate reality of God."
If this "personal relationship" is the same as that practiced by orthodoxy, then why do orthodox label people (and entire denominations) "unspiritual"? There must be a difference or we wouldn't be accused of this.
For the same reason, I suppose, that Protestants label them as "idolaters" because they use images of saints. Sigh. Misunderstanding and judgment can go both ways.

I'm a Protestant myself, in an Independent Christian Church, and I used to be what I would call a "fundamentalist charismatic." I say this just to help you place where I'm coming from-- I tend to dislike labels in general. :)
Wag more.
Bark less.

2thePoint

Post by 2thePoint » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:33 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote: Well, actually, :oops: that's my definition, 2ThePoint-- Metacrock was just saying he agreed with it. But the "quote" command somehow didn't work quite right in his post, and it came out looking like he had said it. :)
Ah, sorry. So I still need one from Meta.
Well, here's the dictionary definition I gave in the other thread: "Mysticism" as defined by the Online Dictionary, is "immediate consciousness of the transcendant or ultimate reality of God; the experience of such communion. . ."
I can agree to that def. But I think I've said before that the problem is not the goal, but the means of getting there. Mysticism has been mostly associated with certain methods: chanting, emptying the mind, smells, sounds, postures etc., whereas fellowship with God in the Bible is never achieved by anything but faith, understanding, and obedience. These things are what I see being called "dry" or "unspiritual".

According to the dictionary on my computer (which says it's from Wikipedia, FWIW), includes this: "A common theme in mysticism is that the mystic and all of reality are one." This would be counter-Biblical. Our oneness is with God and his people, but not the lost.
It's a sad thing that the term has recently become connotative only of Eastern pantheistic thought; but that doesn't mean we can't use it in its old sense. I apologize for the miscommunication. The thing is that "personal relationship with God" is perhaps more vague to non-Protestants than "Christian Mysticism" is. To some, "personal relationship" has been interpreted as a mindset that God is your own "personal" God, like a "personal" wristwatch or a "personal servant. I wished to avoid that misunderstanding. What I meant was the kind of personal relationship with God where one actually senses God's Presence at times-- the "immediate consciousness of the transcendant or ultimate reality of God."
Yes, but using it does cause confusion and misunderstanding, whether it should or not. I would think "spirituality" is a term that would not bring immediate pagan practices to the Christian mind, regardless of society or background.
For the same reason, I suppose, that Protestants label them as "idolaters" because they use images of saints. Sigh. Misunderstanding and judgment can go both ways.
Yet there is no NT precedent for the use of images as objects of veneration. And no matter how I try, I cannot separate veneration of an image from worship. It's one thing to respect a person, dead or alive, but another to stand (sit, kneel, what ever) in front of their picture and do "veneration". I wouldn't even do that to a picture of Christ. Instead, I meet Him in my spirit, my mind, and show my respect for him in how I live.
I'm a Protestant myself, in an Independent Christian Church, and I used bo be what I would call a "fundamentalist charismatic." I say this just to help you place where I'm coming from-- I tend to dislike labels in general. :)
Yes, labels hinder understanding when applied to people. They're fine for discussing theories or types of theology, but not people.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:44 pm

Hazard wrote:Meta said
"yea, you got it! I really appreciate you Wordgazer. You always dig what I say. The term "father" is an analogical term. God is like and not like a father. all "likeness" also contains "no like" or it wouldn't' make sense. So we must be aware of both the positive likeness and the merely metaphorical nature of metaphors"

Can't say i agree with this mate. All this is truly getting over my head but I think I do know what the word Father means in Scripture. In Matt. 28:19 and 1 John 5:7-8 the names The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost are mentioned. These are not just mere titles. The dictionary and grammer teaches us that such words are "nouns" or "substantives" and that all such nouns are names. It is true that not all such names are are always propper names, of certain individuals, but usage in any particular instance shows whether a word becomes a "proper name" or not. In Matt 28:19 it is not just any father or any son or any holy ghost, but it is definately a particular "Father" and "Son" and "Holy Ghost."The definate article "the" is used in both the Greek and English versions before each word. It is "the Father," and "the Son," and "The Holy Ghost." These terms thus used and associated can apply to no other persons on Earth or in Heaven. The term "the Father," in the new testament is not once applied to men or to Christ or to the Holy Ghost, but only and always to the first person of the Godhead, "the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Cor. 11:31; Ephesians 1:3; Eph. 3:14; Coll. 1:3).

Haz.

now get me wrong. I am not saying God isn't the father. I'm just saying our idea of a father is is basically centered around our experiences of earthly fathers. and God, while being very like a father, is much more than that.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:46 am

Metacrock wrote:
Hazard wrote:Meta said

Haz.

now get me wrong. I am not saying God isn't the father. I'm just saying our idea of a father is is basically centered around our experiences of earthly fathers. and God, while being very like a father, is much more than that.
Yes, I agree He is Father, and much more than that. According to all the Scriptures I have found He is "Father" and He is also the Father of Jesus Christ our Lord. He is the Father of all things. And that is His name; "Father." His name is "Father," rather than Bill, Jesus's Father. Know what I mean?

Kinda like; "Who's on first?" I just told you, "Who's, on first." Who? Yes, thats right, Who, Who's on first!," Yes. I mean the fellow's name? "Who." The guy on first. "Who."

Haz.