The First easter

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator: Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.

Re: The First easter

Postby SayaOtonashi on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Some question Easter's name since it's also passover. So should we call it Easter?
SayaOtonashi
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am

Re: The First easter

Postby Metacrock on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:39 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:Some question Easter's name since it's also passover. So should we call it Easter?


Easter is not Passover, it's about the resurrection.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: The First easter

Postby SayaOtonashi on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Many state there is no history of Easter being celebrated and the fact that the name used is Pascha(Passover) not Easter has it's a pagan name. Where does the name come from?
SayaOtonashi
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am

Re: The First easter

Postby Metacrock on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:47 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:Many state there is no history of Easter being celebrated and the fact that the name used is Pascha(Passover) not Easter has it's a pagan name. Where does the name come from?



that's stupid Easter goes way back. celebrated in eastern orthodox church in early centures,
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: The First easter

Postby SayaOtonashi on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 pm

But if they use the word Pascha is it because Jesus was the Passover? I mean that's what the word means. Easter( the name) comes from what?
SayaOtonashi
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am

Re: The First easter

Postby The Pixie on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:32 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:But if they use the word Pascha is it because Jesus was the Passover? I mean that's what the word means. Easter( the name) comes from what?

"Easter" probably comes from a pagan fertility goddess:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=easter

It certainly looks as though the Gospel of John wants Jesus to be the Passover with verses like, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world". While the synoptics have Jesus eating the Paschal lamb, John moves stuff around so Jesus can be the Paschal lamb.
The Pixie
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: The First easter

Postby SayaOtonashi on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:28 pm

http://www.bibletruth.cc/Easter.htm

What do I do with this? I mean my friend wants me to stop because the name is from a german goddess and that Jesus never said resurrection should be celebrated.
SayaOtonashi
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am

Re: The First easter

Postby Metacrock on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:32 am

The Pixie wrote:
SayaOtonashi wrote:But if they use the word Pascha is it because Jesus was the Passover? I mean that's what the word means. Easter( the name) comes from what?

"Easter" probably comes from a pagan fertility goddess:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=easter

It certainly looks as though the Gospel of John wants Jesus to be the Passover with verses like, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world". While the synoptics have Jesus eating the Paschal lamb, John moves stuff around so Jesus can be the Paschal lamb.



Of course NT ea christians were Jews and the followed the Hebrew holy days. The last supper right before Crucifixion an resurrection was teh Passover dinner,so of course teh Passover is part of the Jesus story,

Easter was tagged on latter and probably is influenced by pagan days but eastern is not in the
bible,
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: The First easter

Postby Metacrock on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:41 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:http://www.bibletruth.cc/Easter.htm

What do I do with this? I mean my friend wants me to stop because the name is from a german goddess and that Jesus never said resurrection should be celebrated.


that's stupid, those dumb arguments, All languages are of pagan Origin unless he;s speaking Hebrew, even those are too as well. that is meaningless. The world for God, El in OT is from a pagan god.

no Biblical injunction on celebration things.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: The First easter

Postby SayaOtonashi on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:27 pm

But the resurrection celebration was part of the early church?
SayaOtonashi
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am

PreviousNext

Return to Theology/Bible

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron