Review of 'Christ and Horro rs' for holy Saturday

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
met
Review of 'Christ and Horro rs' for holy Saturday

Post by met » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:40 am

The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Re: Review of 'Christ and Horro rs' for holy Saturday

Post by met » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:44 am

Here's another one. Long, u have to start at the bottom....

https://anopenorthodoxy.wordpress.com/c ... ord-adams/
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalndXdxriI
Number Six: Who is Number One?
Number Two: You are Number Six.
but in the end, as it turns out, it should really be written ...." You are, Number Six."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:08 am

this looks very interesting. I have to deal with some computer issues and do some thinking about it before I comment. Ill get t it.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:36 pm

It takes your participatory atonement concept to a more radical place....
[Essentially this perfectionist tradition merely adds normal human functioning and growth “into a soul already equipped – ab initio and permanently – with as much supernatural knowledge of God and creatures as a human soul is capable of….” This approach, Adams feels, actually disqualifies Jesus from being our horror-defeater, for the job is to defeat horrors not just insulated ‘inside’ a human nature but ‘with’ or ‘by means of’ that nature, i.e., in terms of the capacities and vulnerabilities definitive of that nature. This is the human side of the qualifications. But there’s also a divine side of the job description (Part 5) which limits how much and in what ways he identifies with us.
I
Jesus’ character emerges developmentally through the same trials and errors and within the same constraints we are naturally limited to. And this means Jesus grows morally and spiritually into the obedience which his role as horror-defeater requires rather than emerging from the womb with pre-installed supernatural upgrades that insulate him against failure to self-identify truthfully before God and the experienced loss of personal meaning such failure results in. For Adams, Jesus was non posse non peccare with the rest of us
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 am

Popular piety has given us a string of requirements that aren't in the bible. Jesus has to have suffered more than anyone ever did becuase popular piety seeks to make us love him more by building it up that way. It's enough that he makes a statement of solidarity and creates the basis for atonement, and then mediates our forgiveness.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

DT1138

Post by DT1138 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Metacrock wrote:Popular piety has given us a string of requirements that aren't in the bible. Jesus has to have suffered more than anyone ever did becuase popular piety seeks to make us love him more by building it up that way. It's enough that he makes a statement of solidarity and creates the basis for atonement, and then mediates our forgiveness.
This actually reminds me of St. Paul's quote in 1 Colossians 1:24, and the traditional Catholic belief in "victim souls". I don't think its so much that Jesus in his earthly life suffered in every possible way imaginable, but simply that he suffered, and suffering now connects us to God in a way that it did not previously.

The impetus to love God more comes in Christ's divinity and incarnation, IMO.