God's hidden love?

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Superfund
God's hidden love?

Post by Superfund » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:24 pm

'that seeing they may see and not perceive, and hearing they may hear and not understand, lest they may turn, and the sins may be forgiven them.'

I only have a glimpse of this.

met

Re: God's hidden love?

Post by met » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Me too. Thx for posting that Sup, it' was inspiring! :)
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Superfund wrote:'that seeing they may see and not perceive, and hearing they may hear and not understand, lest they may turn, and the sins may be forgiven them.'

The atheists have no idea what love is. One of the reasons they can't accept that God is personal is becuase they think love is just brain chemistry so you can't have any form of love except that it be rooted in anthropomorphic brain chemicals.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Metacrock wrote:
Superfund wrote:'that seeing they may see and not perceive, and hearing they may hear and not understand, lest they may turn, and the sins may be forgiven them.'

The atheists have no idea what love is. One of the reasons they can't accept that God is personal is becuase they think love is just brain chemistry so you can't have any form of love except that it be rooted in anthropomorphic brain chemicals.

Wielding a large brush aren't we? ;)
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:08 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:

Wielding a large brush aren't we? ;)

Just got through having a dozen atheists on carm yet one more time as they have a hundred times before totally ignore the Tillich I quote and insist that any notion having love is big man in the sky. Not one single atheist there is willing to say "wait maybe there's another idea."

LogicLad

Post by LogicLad » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 am

Metacrock wrote:

Love, like all emotion, is a state of mind brought on by chemicals in the brain, just because you don't like that dosn't make it false. I am sorry to break it to you but your brain works exactly ( give or take) the same way as mine and the love you feel for your deity of choice is the same as the love i feel for my wife and daughter just as powerful, moving and inspiring. Atheism does not make incapable of love it just means that i dont believe in a diety, nothing more and nothing less. Please stop assigning characteristics to people based on your prejudices.

To be fair i am a weak atheist, Scientifically i cannot proove that there is no god, but given i have to live my life as if there is a god or there isn't i choose to live assuming that there isn't

LogicLad

Post by LogicLad » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 am

Just got through having a dozen atheists on carm yet one more time as they have a hundred times before totally ignore the Tillich I quote and insist that any notion having love is big man in the sky. Not one single atheist there is willing to say "wait maybe there's another idea."
I have tried to read Tillich, it is interesting and i don't pretend that i understood all or even most of what i got through, however i would like to point out that the Big Man in the Sky is how most religious people consider their god, particularly most of the ones that you run into being vocal on the internet. So is it any suprise that this is the version of God that most athiests associate with religion.

I mean do you believe that there is a diety waiting to greet you to eternal bliss after your death, who watches over you and guides you? if not you are a very pecular type of Christian.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey there LL glad you could make it.

LogicLad wrote:
Metacrock wrote:

Love, like all emotion, is a state of mind brought on by chemicals in the brain, just because you don't like that dosn't make it false.
No, but it's false because it's not the case. Since I have a philosophy of love then it's empirical and definition that love is more than just an emotion it's also a philosophy. no question of the turth of that because I hold the philosophy so it does exist.

I am sorry to break it to you but your brain works exactly ( give or take) the same way as mine and the love you feel for your deity of choice is the same as the love i feel for my wife and daughter just as powerful, moving and inspiring. Atheism does not make incapable of love it just means that i dont believe in a diety, nothing more and nothing less. Please stop assigning characteristics to people based on your prejudices.

that's an illogical conclusion. Yes I'm sure our brains work the same vis human brain, but that does not mean one kind of love is the same as another. For one thing we are language jumping. The original concept to which I refer is the Greek term agape you are referring to English concepts such as "affection, sexual arousal, comradeship, brotherly love, and the like.
To be fair i am a weak atheist, Scientifically i cannot proove that there is no god, but given i have to live my life as if there is a god or there isn't i choose to live assuming that there isn't
[/quote]

First of all love could be more than an emotion and God not exist. So it's not as though accepting my take on love is necessarily the same as accepting that God is real.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:22 pm

LogicLad wrote:
I have tried to read Tillich, it is interesting and i don't pretend that i understood all or even most of what i got through, however i would like to point out that the Big Man in the Sky is how most religious people consider their god, particularly most of the ones that you run into being vocal on the internet. So is it any suprise that this is the version of God that most athiests associate with religion.
[/quote]

irrelevant truth is not based upon popularity.
I mean do you believe that there is a diety waiting to greet you to eternal bliss after your death, who watches over you and guides you? if not you are a very pecular type of Christian.
That's all very loaded. what do you mean by "diety" what do you mean by "guiding." I would say yes, to avoid confusion. That still doesn't mean we don't have different ideas about it.

"waiting to welcome" is a loaded phrase. that's all slanted to make it seem there's this big grandfather figure n the sky. We can think about all of those things in different ways.

LogicLad

Re: God's hidden lov[quote="Metacrock"]Hey there LL glad you

Post by LogicLad » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:50 am

Metacrock wrote:Hey there LL glad you could make it.
Yeah sorry about the hold up but major changes have been occuring in my life, mostly finding out that i am about to be a father again and my wife being ill.
No, but it's false because it's not the case. Since I have a philosophy of love then it's empirical and definition that love is more than just an emotion it's also a philosophy. no question of the turth of that because I hold the philosophy so it does exist.
I am beginning to see a trend, you seem to have a habit of using existing words with your own deffinition, kind of explains a number of the issues that occur when you debate people.

I have no idea that you have a 'philosophy of love' or what this philosophy is, i was clearly talking about the feeling that is associated with people, places and things that a person holds dear the common usage of the word 'love'. In which case my statement is correct.

that's an illogical conclusion. Yes I'm sure our brains work the same vis human brain, but that does not mean one kind of love is the same as another. For one thing we are language jumping. The original concept to which I refer is the Greek term agape you are referring to English concepts such as "affection, sexual arousal, comradeship, brotherly love, and the like.
agape as you are using it appears to be the love of man by God, also clearly not what i was talking about. by definition you cannot know what this love is like. and i repeat my previous comment of using the commonly understood use of a word unless you are going to specifically define the new usage.
First of all love could be more than an emotion and God not exist. So it's not as though accepting my take on love is necessarily the same as accepting that God is real.
As I said above, I have no idea what your take on love is, only that it is clearly different to the common usage. The comment on my atheism was mostly as I am new to the boards and others would know my postion.