my eight level of verification for Gospels

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator: Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.

my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Metacrock on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 am

what do you guys think of my argument about eight levels of verification for the gospels?

It only applies to the basic historical outline of the story not to each specific miracle. The basic idea is that there several different trajectories from which we find evidence validting the basic story.


http://religiousapriorijesus-bible.blogspot.com/2010/05/eight-levels-of-verification-for.html
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Metacrock on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:34 am

come on man, somebody can respond to this
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby JBSptfn on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:16 pm

It is pretty good. I especially think that the belief that the communities wrote the Gospels makes a lot of sense.
JBSptfn
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Metacrock on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:23 am

JBSptfn wrote:It is pretty good. I especially think that the belief that the communities wrote the Gospels makes a lot of sense.


Hey thanks man. I wish I could take credit but that's really what they were teaching at Perkins when I went there.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Superfund on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:38 am

I'm curious as its one of the reasons I'm not religious,(although I still consider myself to be theistic) How did the mythological stuff get in there to do with hell and the devil, from what I know Jews never believed in that, even 'Satan' had a different meaning to them than the fire and brimstone one, also with newer translations all references to hell as understood by many in the new testament have been removed from the old. Isn't that a pretty big error doctrine wise? and shouldn't these corrections continue into the new testament? I mean its a pretty big burden to saddle people with.
Superfund
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:33 am

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Michael Hill on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:06 am

Metacrock wrote:what do you guys think of my argument about eight levels of verification for the gospels?

It only applies to the basic historical outline of the story not to each specific miracle. The basic idea is that there several different trajectories from which we find evidence validting the basic story.


http://religiousapriorijesus-bible.blogspot.com/2010/05/eight-levels-of-verification-for.html



Where is any strong evidence (as you claim) of the gospels being written early? We have nothing from the first century, and a few verses from the second century, which could have been in letters between churches. Come the beginning of the third century, we suddenly have whole books. Content means nothing since it is easy to write as if it was written earlier.

Though the original view was that they were written early, now the view is maybe 50-90 years later and even that is not supported by evidence. Early christian writers do not mention them:

https://thechurchoftruth.wordpress.com/ ... e-or-john/

Your idea of verification seems to be writing down what you think and then claiming it must be true.
Michael Hill
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Metacrock on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Michael Hill wrote:
Metacrock wrote:what do you guys think of my argument about eight levels of verification for the gospels?

It only applies to the basic historical outline of the story not to each specific miracle. The basic idea is that there several different trajectories from which we find evidence validting the basic story.


http://religiousapriorijesus-bible.blogspot.com/2010/05/eight-levels-of-verification-for.html



Where is any strong evidence (as you claim) of the gospels being written early? We have nothing from the first century, and a few verses from the second century, which could have been in letters between churches. Come the beginning of the third century, we suddenly have whole books. Content means nothing since it is easy to write as if it was written earlier.



Scholars don't date works by just the Ms they have. They don't say "this copy john Rylands fragment dates to 135 therefore the Gospel of john was written in 135. They assume distance from place of composition and travel time and copy time. John is dated to about 95-100.

the PMPN is dated to mid first century because the readings are more Jewish than the form in which we find them in tnhe canonical gospels. That indicates it pre dates the gentile period.


Though the original view was that they were written early, now the view is maybe 50-90 years later and even that is not supported by evidence. Early christian writers do not mention them


that is early, they used to say second century and most atheists still think that. that's the form in which we have them, they circulating in other forms becvore that.

https://thechurchoftruth.wordpress.com/synoptic-gospels-not-writen-by-matt-mark-luke-or-john/

Your idea of verification seems to be writing down what you think and then claiming it must be true.

do you not read English? each one of those elves is a source. eight sources, Paul, thye ajerusalem church, thye non canonicasl gospels and so on,do you not read Englishy?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Metacrock on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Superfund wrote:I'm curious as its one of the reasons I'm not religious,(although I still consider myself to be theistic) How did the mythological stuff get in there to do with hell and the devil, from what I know Jews never believed in that, even 'Satan' had a different meaning to them than the fire and brimstone one, also with newer translations all references to hell as understood by many in the new testament have been removed from the old. Isn't that a pretty big error doctrine wise? and shouldn't these corrections continue into the new testament? I mean its a pretty big burden to saddle people with.


from the Greeks in the inter-testamental period
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief
User avatar
Metacrock
 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Dallas

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Michael Hill on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:54 am

They can ASSUME what they want about the dates of the gospels but that does not mean they were written then.

"The Four Gospels were unknown to the early Christian Fathers. Justin Martyr, the most eminent of the early Fathers, wrote about the middle of the second century. His writings in proof of the divinity of Christ demanded the use of these Gospels had they existed in his time. He makes more than three hundred quotations from the books of the Old Testament, and nearly one hundred from the Apocryphal books of the New Testament; but none from the Four Gospels. The Rev. Dr. Giles says: “The very names of the Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, are never mentioned by him [Justin] — do not occur once in all his writings” (Christian Records, p. 71).

Theophilus, who wrote after the middle of the latter half of the second century, mentions the Gospel of John, and Irenaeus, who wrote a little later, mentions all of the Gospels, and makes numerous quotations from them. In the latter half of the second century, then, between the time of Justin and Papias, and the time of Theophilus and Irenaeus, the Four Gospels were undoubtedly written or compiled."

https://thechurchoftruth.wordpress.com/ ... e-or-john/

Who knows when the gospels were written? NO ONE. Or who wrote them.

So someone from a Jewish household, maybe even a christian convert wrote it. So what?

You seem to have some idea that you are infallible. Yes I read English. Do you write English? :

"do you not read English? each one of those elves is a source. eight sources, Paul, thye ajerusalem church, thye non canonicasl gospels and so on,do you not read Englishy?"

As to the mythical Paul:

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/paul.htm

.
Michael Hill
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: my eight level of verification for Gospels

Postby Michael Hill on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:56 am

The Greeks had a well laid out mythology about gods, demi-gods, demons and such. One could be tempted to think they added some bits to the Jesus story to brighten it up.
Michael Hill
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Next

Return to Theology/Bible

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron