Roger Olson on Panentheism

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
KR Wordgazer
Roger Olson on Panentheism

Post by KR Wordgazer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Interesting article here on panentheism:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolso ... nentheism/

Arminian Baptist theologian Roger Olson is saying that "true" panentheism denies creation ex nihilo.

I thought it might engender some discussion here. :D
Wag more.
Bark less.

mdsimpson92

Re: Roger Olson on Panentheism

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:38 am

Before I start reading, I tentatively say that that depends on the panentheism and what is defined as "nihilo"
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:Before I start reading, I tentatively say that that depends on the panentheism and what is defined as "nihilo"
Yes. Some panentheists deny that God is "conscious." I would think that would be the worse mistake. It would be the bigger heresy. I don't think one is obligated to mimic the doctrines of famous panentheists so if one wants to be a panentthirst and think God is personal then just do it. Just say "I am a panenthesit but I believe God is personal."

I find creation ex-nihilo problematic. In a sense it's a semantic problem. To say "made out of nothing" it's made out of God's power. so you does htat mean "nothing?" A lot of people think of "made out of" as including the cause of the making. Then is the cause so it's made out of God's power. If that's he case then there is no creation ex nihilo.

Surely that phrase means god didn't er form pre existing material. I find no problem in that. I don't believe he did.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:32 am

Though I do think the author may have a point that Panentheism might risk becoming to stretched out of a term.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:32 am

Though I do think the author may have a point that Panentheism might risk becoming to stretched out of a term.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:Though I do think the author may have a point that Panentheism might risk becoming to stretched out of a term.
If I ever apply to teach at a fundie college I'll remember not tell them I'm a panentheist.

I once applied to teach at Southwestern Seminary in Ft. Worth. that was dismal. I told them about studying Derrida they were like scared to death of me. They go "you do know we teach the Bible here don't you?" I said "I've heard tell..."

they were just so hopelessly out of it they had no idea the stuff I was talking about.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:59 am

Metacrock wrote:If I ever apply to teach at a fundie college I'll remember not tell them I'm a panentheist.I once applied to teach at Southwestern Seminary in Ft. Worth. that was dismal. I told them about studying Derrida they were like scared to death of me. They go "you do know we teach the Bible here don't you?" I said "I've heard tell..."they were just so hopelessly out of it they had no idea the stuff I was talking about.
That's just sad. But that more suggests an ignorance of their own history.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:02 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:If I ever apply to teach at a fundie college I'll remember not tell them I'm a panentheist.I once applied to teach at Southwestern Seminary in Ft. Worth. that was dismal. I told them about studying Derrida they were like scared to death of me. They go "you do know we teach the Bible here don't you?" I said "I've heard tell..."they were just so hopelessly out of it they had no idea the stuff I was talking about.
That's just sad. But that more suggests an ignorance of their own history.
Yes that place is more closed than I thought. I looked in the catelogue after that and most of their professors come from their own school. You can see why universities usually desire new profs form outside the school, keep fresh ideas coming in.