God, perfection, good and evil

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
unred typo
Re: God, perfection, good and evil

Post by unred typo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:15 pm

dumernmud wrote:
Curious, how would the idea that God is perfect in all He does cause one to hold Scripture in "that constrict"? Is this a bad thing in your thinking?
I thought you said ‘that perfection is the attribute that governs the way God acts,’ and if that is so, instead of, for instance, his sovereignty or his mercy or his love, that would mean that you would read the Bible through those ‘perfection colored’ lenses. I guess it’s not a bad thing, if it’s true. I would rather think it is his love that is the attribute that supervises all of God’s actions.
dumernmud wrote:
Maybe clarifications are in order.

Good: Being positive or desirable; having qualities that are desirable or distinguishing in a particular thing; of high quality or worth; valid or true

Good, because it is by nature a value dependent upon a 'valuer' or creator is fought for ad nauseum in theist/atheist arguments as owned by God (absolute standards/values) or man (relatively and subjectively). The OP assumes the former.

This said, good and its antithesis evil can be further reduced to two spheres in the material world, organic and inorganic. About the only value of good to be found in inorganic arrangements is that of beauty. A thing may be considered by either God or man to have the good of beauty, but this is not the good addressed in the OP. Matter can't be desroyed by human hands, only made to change states, so we can ignore good in this respect.

Organic (life-bearing) entities are another thing altogether. We "see" good in vital organisms intuitively. Imagine for the sake of demonstration of this principle:
1) a man holding a baseball bat
2) same man, striking with said ball bat in the following order:
a. a rock
b. a grasshopper
c. a baby seal
d. a human infant

Upon being struck with the ball bat, what you felt, on a rising scale throughout the mental exercise, was an increase in tension and resistance to that good being considered in the OP. The good inherent in life-bearing entities is the focus of this thread. It is, I believe, what Abraham rightly reacted to in the Gen 18 quotes. Further, I believe God arranged this passage to illustrate a principle, that it is antithetical to His character, essence and nature to destroy good on any level.
Do you want to make a distinction between good and righteous here? Babies have a quality of good, but they can’t be considered ‘righteous.’ Unless the cities of S&G were so completely gay they had no children or infants, there would have been innocents killed there in the destruction.

I read ahead to what you said to Wordgazer. You’re quite right. We are going to have some problems relating to one another because, while I’m not an OT and I’m fairly sure they would not own me, (I think the similarity ends in that we both believe the future is unknown) I can’t accept the idea that God has written the Bible in such a way that ordinary people couldn’t grasp it, which would be the case if it is woven throughout with layers of secret private messages for the privileged few.

Jesus specifically said God would hide from the very learned and reveal his word to babes. I’m not saying you have to be dumber than mud to understand it, but there is a simplicity in taking things at face value that I have beat my forehead bloody when trying to get self accredited very brilliant theologists to recognize some simple facts in scripture, presented in a straightforward fashion. (Of course they would say the same thing about me, except they leave out ‘brilliant,’ and ‘theologist’ for ‘heretic‘)
dumernmud wrote:
Considering good in this regard, examining it purely in and of itself outside of its attachment to any complex organization or circumstances, would it violate the perfection of God to destroy the quality, property or feature we call "good"?
I think I already said that good, the quality, can’t be destroyed so I guess I still agree with myself and wordgazer. And I still wonder why you think it is a lesson to show that “it is antithetical to His character, essence and nature to destroy good on any level.” That doesn’t make sense to me, since God did destroy any good that was left there in the innocent people with the evil ones in the S&G incident. Maybe not in the sense that you’re presenting it, the quality of good, but certainly in the way Abraham viewed it (good in innocent people, ie, children, infants, those too timid to resist the evil of the city, puppy dogs, baby harbor seals, etc.)

Are you saying that God is trying to teach Abraham, and us, that he isn’t destroying the essence of good when he destroys innocent children/people since the good cannot be destroyed, or are you saying that he is showing us that there was nothing good in the people in S&G, not even in the babies and children, the feeble minded and the meek?
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:35 pm

unred typo wrote:
Metacrock wrote:
unred typo wrote:Why can’t it be that God didn’t know how they would treat angelic beings, so he sent a couple? From Lot’s rather bizarre offer of his daughters, I would think,( and yes, I know thinking is risky, in some forums, prohibited) that he knew these were at the very least, messengers from God, if it was not apparent they were angels. Besides, I give him the benefit of the doubt (my personal doubt) and say that he really said, “I would rather give you my virgin daughters than these messengers from God.”

I would think that God doesn't have to actually go to a place physically to ascertain the skin on it's level of moral turpitude.
This is true but he would have to send angels to determine what they would do to angels if he sent them.
*insert whaddaya think smilie*

LOL but he should know that. that's part of omnisience.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:28 am

Meta wrote:
LOL but he should know that. that's part of omnisience.
I’m sure he had a 99.9 % idea of how it was going to go but the thing about free will agents is you can’t be sure until they’re struck blind or confronted with the threat of death by fire and brimstone whether they might repent or not. Some do, some don’t. They are weird like that, and pretty much unpredictable. Judgment is God’s strange work that he would rather not do. He wanted to exhaust all avenues of turning this thing around or let the evil there be shown in it’s fullness. God still wants to see how bad it is. He says, in effect, Let’s see what they do with angels.

I think his knowledge (of how many righteous and innocent there were) was complete, perfect, and well calculated, and God sent angels as a last chance for the wicked in S&G to repent and/or to take the righteous out of harm‘s way. I think the people of the city should have recognized them for angelic beings or at least, prophets of God, and been a teensy awe-stuck with the fear of God, but instead, they wanted to abuse them just like they did all other strangers and Lot, being tested with the option of throwing them to the wolves to save his own skin, takes the high road and says in effect, he’d sooner send out his daughters to be abused. This proves with certainty that 1. Lot is righteous and not deserving to be punished with the wicked and 2. There are no others who would dare to stand with Lot, given the prevailing murderous perverted attitude of the majority. The result being the fearful and the abominable were both killed by the fire and brimstone. :shock:

Does anyone learn that being righteous and fearful to stand up for righteousness warrants that you will be punished with the wicked? Apparently the whole story of the incident was well known and even survived to be published here in black and white. So God is justified in his destruction of any righteous or good with the wicked. This was their chance to stand up and be counted if they didn’t want to ‘be numbered with the transgressors.’ (This not to say that they will burn in hell forever, but they lose their chance to do any good deeds of faith that would count towards their reward in the future judgment.) They become examples to all the world that God doesn’t take sin lightly.
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:49 am

Metacrock wrote:
unred typo wrote:Metacrock wrote:
he's suppossed to be all knowing

He is all knowing. He knows everything there is to know. The future doesn’t exist (yet) so there is nothing to know or not know (yet) so not knowing it isn’t a deficiency. Uncaused free will actions are future events that can‘t be known (until they are decided upon at least.) I believe this is the way the Bible reads, that God doesn’t know for sure how man will act in this or that situation, so he tests them. Man’s free will is the wild card in every situation. That’s probably one of the reasons why he became one of us, so he would be better able to predict the probabilities or our erratic, irrational behavior. Even though we were created in his image, we don’t act like he would in many instances. That's why we keep seeing that 'wut the...???' expression on God's face in the Old Testament, ("neither did it enter into my mind")and hear the frustration in Jesus' voice when he stands and says... no, cries, "Oh Jerusalem, Jerusalem..."

I agree! I applaud your statement! Yeah! I think omniscience is an outmoded concept, the future is not a done deal. so there's nothing to know but he should be able to know if there are good people in Sodom. I don't think his knowledge was the point there in that text.
Hi all, havent read the entire thread "yet' but can I please add this to this particular post. Ok, very nice of you all, thanks, I will.

There is not one statement of Scripture in the entire Bible saying God knows or even would like to know all acts and particular events of all the vast creations of free moral agents from all eternity past; or that He has fixed decrees choosing and predestinating all thoughts, acts, and deeds of free wills from all eternity past to all eternity future.

God does know His plan for man from beginning to end, that is from eternity past to eternity future, and God's plan will not fail and it is known from the beginning to the end and what He plans to bring to bring to pass on Earth He has power to do, but concerning the free moral actions of free moral agents He does not know from all eternity what they will do before they are in existence and are here to have a part in His plan. He does not know which ones will be saved and which ones will be lost. He has made a plan for all to be saved alike and all who conform to His plan are blessed with the predestined blessings. Those who wilfully rebel will be cursed with the predestined punishments according to the plan. It is the plan that is known from beginning to the end, not the individual conformity to it by free moral agents. It is left up to each person to choose His own destiny. God wills all men to be saved but if man does not choose to be saved that is his responsibility (1 Tim. 2:4; 2 Pet. 3:9; John 3:16; Rev. 22:17). Now I will read the rest of the posts, hope I have not stuffed things up ere?

Thanks,

Haz.

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:45 am

I thought God does know all things that are happening right now, and he knew all things that have happened in the past, but he doesn’t know, as you say, “all acts and particular events of all the vast creations of free moral agents from all eternity past; or that He has fixed decrees choosing and predestinating all thoughts, acts, and deeds of free wills from all eternity past to all eternity future.” That would be knowing the unknowable, imho.

Are you saying that God doesn't know everything going on everywhere right this moment though? :shock: :?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:21 pm

unred typo wrote:I thought God does know all things that are happening right now, and he knew all things that have happened in the past, but he doesn’t know, as you say, “all acts and particular events of all the vast creations of free moral agents from all eternity past; or that He has fixed decrees choosing and predestinating all thoughts, acts, and deeds of free wills from all eternity past to all eternity future.” That would be knowing the unknowable, imho.

Are you saying that God doesn't know everything going on everywhere right this moment though? :shock: :?
Thats a good question isn't it? My take on the Scriptures I have found regarding God and how He shows us His ways of dealing with free moral agents is this.
First To answer your statement;
"Are you saying that God doesn't know everything going on everywhere right this moment though? :shock: :?
"[/quote],

I have to answer yes, God doesnt know entirely everything going on throughout the universe "right now" which does not involve the outcome of His plan for man, which he does know from beginning to end. Anything which involves itself, or may jepordize the planed outcome of His plan will be reported to Him and he will make alternate plans, and give orders, and do things Himself if necessary, to see His plan is carried out.The reason I have come to this conclusion are these many statements in Scripture which I have found.

God sends messengers throughout the Earth who report to Him of all that they find in the Earth that goes on (Dan. 10:13-21; 11:1; 12:1; Zech. 1:7-11; 6:1-8; Matt. 18:10-11; Heb. 2:4). God does not take care of every detail of His vast universe in all the kingdoms therein. His agents help Him and they are found in every part of the universe on missions for God. Certain angels are responsible to God for carrying out His will in almost infinate detail concerning the billions of suns, moons, planets and ALL FREE MORAL AGENTS on them. God does not personally do everything that is done in all acts and events nor has He known, elected, chosen, or predestinated all the acts and events from all eternity past. God SEARCHES THE HEARTS to find whom He can bless (2 Chr. 16:9). He DISCOVERS deep things (Job. 12:22); He tries the hearts and reins of men so that He may know them (Ps. 7:9; 44:21; 139:1-6, 23-24; Jer. 17:10; 1 Chr. 28:9; Rom.8:27; 1 Cor. 2;10; Rev. 2:23), proving all men for the same reason (Ps. 17:3; 66:10; 81:7).

God goes Himself, or as i mentioned before, He sends messengers throughout the whole of His vast creations to find out for Him what He wants to know, the same as the head of any other organization would be likely to do, so that plans may be made and actions can be taken accordingly. Examples of such agency constantly reporting to God can be found in all these passages (Gen. 18:21-22; Dan. 10:13-21; 11:1; 12:1; Zech. 1:7-11; 6:1-8; Matt. 18:10-11; Heb. 1:14; 2:2; Rev. 1:1; 7:1-3; 8:2-13; 9:1; 14:6-20; 15:1-8; 16:1-21; 18:21; 22:6, 8-9, 16).

The 1,522 "IF'S" in Scripture, and the many hundreds of conditional requirements of God throughout Scripture are sufficient proof in my opinion that God does not know, cause, or prevent all acts and events by His own decrees, and these are, I believe, sufficient proof that He changes HIS MIND and His own dealings with men as they conform or refuse to conform to His will to further His plan for men.

Haz.

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:36 am

Ok, I’ve had this discussion with my father on occasion. He had a very hard time accepting that God could know everything everywhere at once, but to me, it’s just very normal to think about him doing. Just because he sends messengers (or even going himself) to do things in person, does that rule out that he can hear and see everything going on right now, right down to your sox from the inside out? What about verses that say he knows even the thoughts and intents of our hearts? And the number of hairs on our head? And sparrows falling? I have no trouble believing he is that personally connected to his creation, even without a intergalactic cell phone…can you hear me now? *insert Verizon wireless smilie followed by entire network of smilies behind him*

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:21 pm

unred typo wrote:Ok, I’ve had this discussion with my father on occasion. He had a very hard time accepting that God could know everything everywhere at once, but to me, it’s just very normal to think about him doing. Just because he sends messengers (or even going himself) to do things in person, does that rule out that he can hear and see everything going on right now, right down to your sox from the inside out? What about verses that say he knows even the thoughts and intents of our hearts? And the number of hairs on our head? And sparrows falling? I have no trouble believing he is that personally connected to his creation, even without a intergalactic cell phone…can you hear me now? *insert Verizon wireless smilie followed by entire network of smilies behind him*
Ahh, yes, all valid points, knowing the numbers of hairs etc, In Luke the particular Scripture you are refering to Jesus states that the hairs on a head are numbered; "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.sparrows falling down" (Luke 12:7). Not one of them is forgotten. As I said, God is informed of all happenings in their importance and in their compliance to His fully known, from beginning to end, plan for man. he also goes Himself when He feels the need to see if what He has been told is so! These Scriptures teach that God does not know the hearts and minds of free moral agents and He searches them out to see whom He can bless and use in His plans. He searches the hearts of men to find whom He can bless (2 Chr. 16:9). He "discovers" deep things (Job. 12:22); He tries the hearts and reins of men so that He may know them (Ps. 7:9; 44:21; 139:1-6, 23-24; Jer. 17:10; 1 Chr. 28:9; Rom.8:27; 1 Cor. 2;10; Rev. 2:23), proving all men for the same reason (Ps. 17:3; 66:10; 81:7).

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:15 pm

As I said, God is informed of all happenings in their importance and in their compliance to His fully known, from beginning to end, plan for man.
I'm curious about this... what do you mean fully known from beginning to end? Do you think he knows the names of those who will be saved from beginning to end? :?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:46 am

unred typo wrote:
As I said, God is informed of all happenings in their importance and in their compliance to His fully known, from beginning to end, plan for man.
I'm curious about this... what do you mean fully known from beginning to end? Do you think he knows the names of those who will be saved from beginning to end? :?
No. I dont think God knows who will be saved. He wants all men to be saved, but its up to those free moral agents who live properly in the society in which they were born in according to their conscience. This is why God will do right by all men, even those who have never even heard of Him in their lives, and there have been many millions in the past and aslo will be in the future untill Christ returns.

Paul stated in Romans 2:12-16 that God will do right by every man according to the light he has recieved. He said, "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these having not the law, are a law unto themselves: which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the meanwhile accusing or else excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets fo men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."