John Scottus of Ireland

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Metacrock
Re: John Scottus of Ireland

Post by Metacrock » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote:Ah peter Singer, some of his ideas legitimately creep the hell out of me.
Yes, they are BaaAAAAAAAaaad. very very BaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAaaaadd! :mrgreen:

he wrote this intro before he started screwing sheep. Before that he was highly respected.
Lol. The sad thing is is that if you take unrestrained classical utilitarianism, his conclusions internally make sense. Kind of disturbing in of itself.
well the thing is I don't know how serious he is about some of that stuff. Is he just making a point or really informing us of his habits?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:41 am

Metacrock wrote:well the thing is I don't know how serious he is about some of that stuff. Is he just making a point or really informing us of his habits?
He might be doing it to justify his habits.

Anywho, I just finished it. Overall, I liked it. John seems to have established some kind of panentheistic humanism that is way ahead of its time. I will grant that I was a little dissapointed on his answer to the problem of evil, but then again, I guess indeterminism has not really been conceived of properly yet. He went with the privation and perversion explaination of Augustine, blaming our evil wills. Of course that leads us to ask where the evil wills come from to which he throws up his hands and says he doesn't know.

I found the fact that he would even open salvation to the devil himself to be different from what I would expect in this time period.

One thing I did find interesting was his idea that God experiences past present and future at the same time.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:56 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:well the thing is I don't know how serious he is about some of that stuff. Is he just making a point or really informing us of his habits?
He might be doing it to justify his habits.

Anywho, I just finished it. Overall, I liked it. John seems to have established some kind of panentheistic humanism that is way ahead of its time. I will grant that I was a little dissapointed on his answer to the problem of evil, but then again, I guess indeterminism has not really been conceived of properly yet. He went with the privation and perversion explaination of Augustine, blaming our evil wills. Of course that leads us to ask where the evil wills come from to which he throws up his hands and says he doesn't know.

I found the fact that he would even open salvation to the devil himself to be different from what I would expect in this time period.

One thing I did find interesting was his idea that God experiences past present and future at the same time.

that's all pretty interesting. I need to read him.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief