If you reject inerrancy can works be added to the Bible

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
mdsimpson92
If you reject inerrancy can works be added to the Bible

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:37 pm

It is just a question that has come to my mind. Given that much of the Bible ranges from poetry to opinions to letters, could there be works over the ages that could be considered of similar quality or would be considered a worthy addition? If there are, what would they be?
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Re: If you reject inerrancy can works be added to the Bible

Post by Metacrock » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:16 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:It is just a question that has come to my mind. Given that much of the Bible ranges from poetry to opinions to letters, could there be works over the ages that could be considered of similar quality or would be considered a worthy addition? If there are, what would they be?
No. Well, I guess we can always argue about that. there's no reason why the canon should be tied to the concept of incoherency. The books of the canon are the one's that the Bishops thought reflected the deposit of truth they were given and had the authroity of the Apostles on them. they never said "because they are inerrant." that was not a criteria.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:40 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:It is just a question that has come to my mind. Given that much of the Bible ranges from poetry to opinions to letters, could there be works over the ages that could be considered of similar quality or would be considered a worthy addition? If there are, what would they be?
Seems like in some circles - I'm thinkin' more progressive on4es and especially progressive RCC - the Gospel of Thomas is on the verge of being considered canonical....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

naz

Post by naz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:05 pm

There are many canons out there to choose from. What is canonical to one group may not be for the other.

Personally I enjoy reading the apocryphal and pseudepigraphic texts. They can help shed light on the meaning of the canonical works.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:52 pm

naz wrote:There are many canons out there to choose from. What is canonical to one group may not be for the other.

Personally I enjoy reading the apocryphal and pseudepigraphic texts. They can help shed light on the meaning of the canonical works.
Yea I do too. I'm not arguing for a super canon. I'm arguing for keep the canon we have (whatever tradition we are in) just change our orientation toward what ti means to have a canon. I take there to be other authorities. I think major theologians and councils and creeds also serves as authority.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Metacrock wrote:Yea I do too. I'm not arguing for a super canon. I'm arguing for keep the canon we have (whatever tradition we are in) just change our orientation toward what ti means to have a canon. I take there to be other authorities. I think major theologians and councils and creeds also serves as authority.
Fair enough. It's just that works like Tolstoy, Kierkegaard and Augustine often strike me as being excellent works about trying to deal with God and religion. Granted these never really went to a council of Bishops and tradition (ok Augustine's might have).
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:46 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:Yea I do too. I'm not arguing for a super canon. I'm arguing for keep the canon we have (whatever tradition we are in) just change our orientation toward what ti means to have a canon. I take there to be other authorities. I think major theologians and councils and creeds also serves as authority.
Fair enough. It's just that works like Tolstoy, Kierkegaard and Augustine often strike me as being excellent works about trying to deal with God and religion. Granted these never really went to a council of Bishops and tradition (ok Augustine's might have).
that comes under the heading "what is the fundamental function of the canon?" I think the original was to preserve Jesus teachings. of course for the OT it was to put up a framework in which Messiah would make sense.