Negative Theology

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
URBILD
Re: Negative Theology

Post by URBILD » Sat May 07, 2011 2:05 pm

met wrote: That's very Western. Negative theology, otoh, mostly comes out of (or at least back from) the East, doesnt it? (I mean, the RCC silenced Meister Ekhart for saying apophatic type stuff.)
You have the same problem in the East. Pseudo-Dionysius left negative theology unreconciled with Biblical language about God.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:42 pm

URBILD wrote:
met wrote: That's very Western. Negative theology, otoh, mostly comes out of (or at least back from) the East, doesnt it? (I mean, the RCC silenced Meister Ekhart for saying apophatic type stuff.)
You have the same problem in the East. Pseudo-Dionysius left negative theology unreconciled with Biblical language about God.
i believe that Plotinus himself generally believed that THE ONE is not an object of knowledge or perception. Perhaps in a sense noumenal or at least matching with God not "existing" per say.

Given that Pseudo Dionysus took much influence from Plotinus, this could be worth noting.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

met

Post by met » Sat May 07, 2011 4:59 pm

URBILD wrote:
.... his notorious final naming of God as "Incomprehensible?" i spose that's true.

(I can see how u feel that neo-classical theism resolves this issue? :) Yeah, quite interesting ... )
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Sat May 07, 2011 5:09 pm

BUT!!!! - The HS of course just avoids all that - all that philosophy stuff. Just tells the stories. Except here and there, implicitly , symbolically, that kind of thing is still hinted at - like, eg, when a glimpse of God's "hind parts" makes Moses's hair go all white. :o :o Or Isaiah's outcry.... "I am a man with unclean lips!" :o :o ... etc etc.

So how CONTRADICTORY are those two depictions of God, ultimately? Are they really irreconcilable?
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 am

met wrote:BUT!!!! - The HS of course just avoids all that - all that philosophy stuff. Just tells the stories. Except here and there, implicitly , symbolically, that kind of thing is still hinted at - like, eg, when a glimpse of God's "hind parts" makes Moses's hair go all white. :o :o Or Isaiah's outcry.... "I am a man with unclean lips!" :o :o ... etc etc.

So how CONTRADICTORY are those two depictions of God, ultimately? Are they really irreconcilable?
Perhaps not, granted there is process theism's answer (and I have not totally rejected it even though I am still Tillichian) However, I remember somewhere in "Courage to be" where Tillich references those as the personal interactions with God. Even though God is ultimately transpersonal. Reminds me of the Buddhist "not a mind, but not a non-mind."

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon May 16, 2011 7:08 am

But Tillich doesn't mean "impersonal" by saying "transpersonal." He just means that it's beyond what we understand as personal. That doesn't mean God can't condecend to our level.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:35 am

I don't want to imply that. Sorry I shouldn't have brought up Buber without reading his criticism.