Prayers being answered and not being answered.

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Metacrock
Re: Prayers being answered and not being answered.

Post by Metacrock » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:28 am

runamokmonk wrote:Well, at least one time, if it was truly from God, which I seem to never be able to truly stop believing it was, then yes.

God has never done a miracle for me in the sense of what I was asking for suddenly being fixed or changed. It's mostly slow help, it seems, for me.

Also, I'd like to say that I used to think I had to verbally pray inside my head word for word which could be tiring but then I realized I didn't have to use each word, I sort of have the thought mixed with saying, "see", or "this" and "that", "please" and other sentences mixed in. I don't know if that makes sense but I had the idea that I had to say each word sentence by sentence. I'm not the greatest conversationalist!

I'm hoping that this club I joined is part of an answer to a prayer I've often had.

I've actually had a couple of experiences it seems.

But whatever I ask for I usually follow up that whatever it is I'm asking for, or to have happen, that if things don't work out like I want, then to help me deal with what does happen.

My girlfriend talks to God as real personal being and it wasn't until I met her that someone showed me that sort of thing. She even tells me how she prays and when she prays and what she says.
I haven't gotten that million bucks yet, but I have had some remarkable answers.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

runamokmonk

Post by runamokmonk » Sun May 08, 2011 2:30 pm

I haven't gotten that million bucks yet, but I have had some remarkable answers.
I've mentioned before here that at one point I gave my last prayer and what's funny is that I actually did ask for a million dollars but I told God that it wasn't because I wanted power over others and extravegant things. I asked for that because the way the world works is hard for me and I felt selfish for asking. But I said that a million dollars is the only way I could imagine but if he has a better plan than ok.
The prayer was more than just this though. If the answer to my prayer is really from God then somehow goodness will happen. In heaven or on earth, I don't even know. I can't even imagine what people are talking about when they say heaven. At some point in that prayer I felt like something calmed me down and put me to sleep and I didn't give up on God the next day.
All I know is that I think I'm supposed to be patient. I have a hard time with patience. The prayer part that was actually answered happened in sort of the way what you said happened to you in that Mc Donalds with a black guy you telling you something. Mine wasn't exactly the same situation but it's similar.

runamokmonk

Post by runamokmonk » Sun May 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Also, after it happened I realized it sort of corresponds with 3 things and it reminds of this that I found afterwards~
As it is, these remain: faith, hope and love, the three of them; and the greatest of them is love.
I was told where to look to feel God's love which has to do with my desire (hope, I think that would be). I was even told where to look when I lose faith. And I was told that I needed to be patient.

(edit) It was a little more than this even but I didn't explain it all.
Last edited by runamokmonk on Sun May 08, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runamokmonk

Post by runamokmonk » Sun May 08, 2011 3:08 pm

And so since I have huge tendency to reptetively fixate on things that's what I did. And then I put together some pieces of this experience, another theory which caught my attention because it used this is/ought wording, Moltmann/liberation theology, and many quotes to express my thoughts, which I think is kind of cool. But the experience didn't fix everything because I can have a hard time understanding people and their motivations and how they are different then mine, maybe, I think I am being told that I have some developmental difference or something. My whole adult life I was obsessed with wanting the world to be good and fair and I thought it would happen in a short time. And when that happened I could go on with my life and play in the woods or be building permaculture type of mini-ecosystem on some land with animals. But my thoughts are still valid and rational.
I was so fixated on all of this from being overwhelmed with the world and wanting it fixed I forgot about my own life. And now I am wanting to let God take care of all that so I can have more fun and relax more.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 am

yea, we all want the world to be good and fair, we all know it wont be. There's something to this fallen world business.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief