Shcopenhauer's Criticisms of Chrsitian theology

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Metacrock
Re: Shcopenhauer's Criticisms of Chrsitian theology

Post by Metacrock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:07 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:
tinythinker wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote:You and Tiny did seem to plow through him pretty well. Granted, you both have more knowledge due to more accurate discoveries than what he had available. (as a side not I noticed that aside from Judaism and forms of Protestantism he does seem to be tolerant for his era.)
Absolutely. I am not trying to condemn what he wrote or ignore his argument's deficiencies or lack of access caused by his era. But he could have, for example, looked beyond Lutheran Protestantism. I wonder what he would have made of the Orthodox churches. But he is far more knowledgeable and generous that the new atheists, and given how cut off he would have been from other voices of Christianity, I can't blame him for his critique.
True, which is one of the reasons why I actually respect him greatly. (that and the fact that he inspired some of the greatest thinkers and writers in hisotory) Though you're right, it would be interesting what his opinion on the Orthodox Church if he knew anything about it. Especially since their Nestorian cousin's (from what I read from my textbook) actually probably influenced Mahayana Buddhism. Then again, he was into Indian thought and would probably have been more interested in Therevada instead.

Tolstoy would have had a field day with this though. (Note to self, read "the kingdom of god with within you") But then the only real experience i have had with Tolstoy was "War and Peace" (can't believe I read that monster twice, I must be a masochist or something). But then again I do know that his aeschetics were derived from Shopenhauer.

wow. did you know he original called it "war, what's it good for?"
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:05 pm

I hope that was a reference to the song.

Anyways, I believe he originally was an atheist or agnostic but was dissatisfied with Kant and Schopenhauer and turned to Christianity. Obviously it evolved into his own brand, but Schopenhauer kept a strong influence on him.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:38 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:I hope that was a reference to the song.

Anyways, I believe he originally was an atheist or agnostic but was dissatisfied with Kant and Schopenhauer and turned to Christianity. Obviously it evolved into his own brand, but Schopenhauer kept a strong influence on him.
you aer not a Signfeld fan?

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Metacrock wrote:

Too young to fully appreciate.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:

ah, right. forgot. you talk like a graduate student or a senior.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 am

Metacrock wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote: Anyways, I believe he originally was an atheist or agnostic but was dissatisfied with Kant and Schopenhauer and turned to Christianity. Obviously it evolved into his own brand, but Schopenhauer kept a strong influence on him.
ah, right. forgot. you talk like a graduate student or a senior.[/quote]

yep, just a freshman. (thanks for the compliment) You should meet my sister, you'd like her. She's smarter than me, took graduate school at Harvard and is a government contractor for the military. Also, she's way more liberal than me

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 am

mdsimpson92 wrote: You should meet my sister, you'd like her. She's smarter than me, took graduate school at Harvard and is a government contractor for the military. Also, she's way more liberal than me
Married?

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Metacrock wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote: You should meet my sister, you'd like her. She's smarter than me, took graduate school at Harvard and is a government contractor for the military. Also, she's way more liberal than me
Married?
LOL
No and hands off she's more than twenty years your junior. I guess my parent we right about creepy people on the internet. (joking)

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:
Married?
LOL
No and hands off she's more than twenty years your junior. I guess my parent we right about creepy people on the internet. (joking)
I figured. Just kidding anyway. You may not understand this now but you will someday I forget I'm old.

DT1138

Post by DT1138 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:00 pm

In fairness, have you heard of Lutheran Scholasticism? Between Lutheran Scholasticism and Calvinism, much of Protestant Orthodoxy was stripped of the mystical and experiential.

One victim of the Reformation was mysticism. Both in Catholic and Protestant circles, mysticism came under intense scrutiny and suspicion. It only really flourished in dissenter sects like the Quietists or Quakers. Catholics in particular feared Quietism because it offered a way to achieve a feeling of knowledge of God without the hierarchy's sacramental system, and Protestants disliked it because it de-emphasized the Bible (indeed, the Quakers hold experience above the Bible in authority).