The Ehrman Project

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Socius
The Ehrman Project

Post by Socius » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Here is an interesting site. A site has been set up to refute the ideas of popular and influential self-confessed, agnostic, text-critical scholar Bart Ehrman. There are a growing number of articles and youtube responses by some well respected evangelicals
http://ehrmanproject.com/
socius

"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge" - Bertrand Russell

Metacrock

Re: The Ehrman Project

Post by Metacrock » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Socius wrote:Here is an interesting site. A site has been set up to refute the ideas of popular and influential self-confessed, agnostic, text-critical scholar Bart Ehrman. There are a growing number of articles and youtube responses by some well respected evangelicals
http://ehrmanproject.com/
that's good. Is Ben Witherington the guy on all of it? I like him.

Erhman was a product of Moody. His father taught there and he went there. I know he went there I know a guy who was there with him. He tries to cover that up. That kind of fundie Calvinist place produces a lot of burned out people who have just had it with the faith.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Socius

Post by Socius » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Ehrman does not cover up the fact or he went to Moody. He speaks about it in his book "Misquoting Jesus" and I have heard him speak about it in an interview. Ehrman did come from a conservative background. He mentions how when he first heard from non-conservative scholars that that Bible was inerrant he fought against it. What is really interesting, for me, is that the passage he studied that persuaded him that there were errors in the Bible was the same passage that I studied and persuaded me when I did my undergrad theology course. I read about Ehrman's experience some years later, so there is a similarity there between us in how we left conservativism. The difference is I never studied at a Fundy place, I studied under liberals from the start.

I don't mind Witherington. He and N. T. Wright are from the same school of thought and though they are more conservative than I am (you can't classify me as anywhere near conservative) they are scholars I can read, appreciate, learn from, but not necessarily always agree with.
socius

"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge" - Bertrand Russell

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:30 am

Socius wrote:Ehrman does not cover up the fact or he went to Moody. He speaks about it in his book "Misquoting Jesus" and I have heard him speak about it in an interview. Ehrman did come from a conservative background. He mentions how when he first heard from non-conservative scholars that that Bible was inerrant he fought against it. What is really interesting, for me, is that the passage he studied that persuaded him that there were errors in the Bible was the same passage that I studied and persuaded me when I did my undergrad theology course. I read about Ehrman's experience some years later, so there is a similarity there between us in how we left conservativism. The difference is I never studied at a Fundy place, I studied under liberals from the start.

I don't mind Witherington. He and N. T. Wright are from the same school of thought and though they are more conservative than I am (you can't classify me as anywhere near conservative) they are scholars I can read, appreciate, learn from, but not necessarily always agree with.

I've seen example after example of people who were in Calvinist bible schools and bailed out of the faith entirely becuase some little tiny bs that they found wrong in the bible. That's all that stuff is good for.

Socius

Post by Socius » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Metacrock wrote:I've seen example after example of people who were in Calvinist bible schools and bailed out of the faith entirely becuase some little tiny bs that they found wrong in the bible. That's all that stuff is good for.
I agree. Those churches and institutions that teach inerrancy are setting people up for a fall. They push an "all or nothing" approach. They teach that if the Bible is the word of God then there can be no error on any level, if there is an error then it can't be God's word. When people within these type of churches come to the realisation there are errors, even if the error may be minor or insignificant, it rocks their worldview. Many abandon the faith altogether, I've seen this happen. I blame the churches and institutions that teach inerrancy for this. They have inadvertly set up the fall with their dogma.
socius

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes. in the old days when I first discovered message boards and started on carm there was a guy called "skeptic bud." he went to some little bible college. The thing that got him was he learned in class that the authors didn't put the names on the Gospels but it was done latter. Matthew didn't write "I am Matthew this is by me." So therefore it was a lie, false advertising. He became an atheist. Because someone told him every single word had to be revealed by God.

I said Erhman tries to hide it because my friend who knew him in Moody had that impression becuase in his early books it left off Moody. I think that could be the publisher that did that.

Socius

Post by Socius » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:46 pm

I may be wrong as I am speculating, but maybe Ehrman tried to hide it until he felt he could get the respect from the academic community as being a very good and competent scholar.

Related to this, I have been told that there are some Christian ministers and priests who no longer believe the gospel but continue in the ministry because that is all they know. If they were to leave, especially the older ones, they would not be employable to do something else. They have spent so much of their life and time in the ministry that it becomes too difficult to leave.
socius

met

Post by met » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:47 pm

... but Soc, what passage convinced you?

Did I miss it?
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Socius

Post by Socius » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:15 pm

met wrote:... but Soc, what passage convinced you?

Did I miss it?
No you didn't miss it. I just didn't mention it. The passage is in Mark 2:23-28, specifically verse 26 where Jesus says Abiathar was high priest when David went into the tabernacle. This is wrong as it was Ahimelech, Abiathar's father (1 Sam 21) who was high priest at the time. Those that wish to salvage the idea that Mark was not wrong here usually appeal to a Greek word, "epi" and translate this word to make the context mean that it is was "around the time of Abiathar" that the events happened. This translation is wrong. The translation and meaning does not allow it. It would be the only time in the gospels and the rest of the NT the word epi would connotate such a thing.
socius

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:39 am

yea