A Philosopher of Religion Calls It Quits

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
tinythinker
A Philosopher of Religion Calls It Quits

Post by tinythinker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Adrift in the endless river

Metacrock

Re: A Philosopher of Religion Calls It Quits

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 pm

A lot that wasn't said in that article. By not a theist anymore does he mean he's an atheist? Or does mean some other version of God as panentheism?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Metacrock wrote:A lot that wasn't said in that article. By not a theist anymore does he mean he's an atheist? Or does mean some other version of God as panentheism?

This guy went where you did Tiny, U Pit.

He also was at Emory and other places. Ph.D. in philosophy an done in theology and about 10 more in other things. He's obviously very smart.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:50 pm

one thing I notice is this guy doesn't talk about Plantinga, Alston or any philosophers I like or respet. He doesn't even talk about Craig.

IN his goodbye speech he lists several atheist he thinks are so profound. I looked up one Michael Martin I am not impressed. one of this books the impossibility of God is just the same pablum atheist spout on message boards all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Impossibility-God ... 1591021200

met

Post by met » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm

It's not understanding the difference between 'defining' something and the more usual way of using language to attempt to describe something. And all we can ever do with any REAL things is the second.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:23 pm

met wrote:It's not understanding the difference between 'defining' something and the more usual way of using language to attempt to describe something. And all we can ever do with any REAL things is the second.

I don't' understand what this applies to.

met

Post by met » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Metacrock wrote:
met wrote:It's not understanding the difference between 'defining' something and the more usual way of using language to attempt to describe something. And all we can ever do with any REAL things is the second.

Oh yeah. About the 'Impossibility of God' arguments. IMV, talking about omni's (eg) are better understood as attempts to describe God, not define God.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 pm

met wrote:
Metacrock wrote:

Oh yeah. About the 'Impossibility of God' arguments. IMV, talking about omni's (eg) are better understood as attempts to describe God, not define God.
ah right. good point.