looks like it's just us

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
unred typo
Re: looks like it's just us

Post by unred typo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 am

VisualFiction wrote:unred, Doctor Who is the longest running SF franchise in the history of television. 1963-1989, 2005-Present. Also more than 300 original novels and/or collections of short stories. Also original audio dramas. It was a British institution. You might recognize actor Tom Baker as "the Doctor" if you saw him with his long multi-colored scarf.

I would post the thread but I don't seem to have such forum permission. It would belong in the Relax forum.

Peter Gabriel's chimes during the end credits of Last Temptation of Christ remind me of the Cybermen's theme music in Earthshock.

!!!!!

Adric as Christ-figure????? There's my first contribution to "Christian/Biblical themes in Doctor Who". And kind of a weird coincidence, given the aforementioned chime simularity.
Well, cool. <( note old spelling indicative of someone raised in the 50-60s ) We were not allowed to watch TV until the sun went down, our chores and homework were done and then, only approved shows, so I would have missed the most impressionable times of viewing them. We didn’t even get a set until my Dad was sure that we were the absolute last holdout. (Ditto, phone.) Then I married a guy who knew what the buttons on the remote were for even before it was invented (cutting off shows mid- sentence at the most climactic moment). :roll: When I do get a chance to watch what I want, I can’t find anything worth watching, and I would rather be snoring or writing something to bore others with. ;)

I think I do remember such a strange rainbow scarfed professor though, now that you mention it. Was he some kind of time traveler too? I think my brother the brainy had his homework done in time to catch it quite often actually. If this is the same one, cantimagineotherwise, then I will be most happy to catch your re-runs and mayhaps discover the secrets of my sibling's weirdness.
:mrgreen:
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:27 pm

Among other htigns, yes. He was a TIme ( and space) traveler, using the T.A.R.D.I.S.. THis stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.

The machien was larger on the inside thna on the outside, and the devise used ot disguise it had broken in the 1960's, on Earht, in London, and so it was ever int he shaoe of a British Police Box form the 1940's or 1950's. ( THe Craft was, when it originally gained htis appearance, in a Junk Yard.)

The Doctor was himself a Time Lord, and from a differnet world, Gallifrey. ( He wa snot Half Human, as the dreadful American TV Movie said.)

But, he did not always have the scarf. In fact, he did not always have the same face. The Doctor had the ability ( due to the need to find enw actors) to Regenerate, and when he did, his appearance woudl change.

So woudl some aspects of his personality.

The core of the Charecter remained contant throghut the series, but his persdonal was always changed along with his physical appearnace.

He was, in the original series, played by 7 different actors.

WIlliam Hatrnell played him first, and was an old man.

THis was followed by Patrick Troughton

He was succeeded by John Pertwee.

THen, TOm Baker, who was the Chap who had the 17 foot long SCarf and curly brown hair.

He was succeeded by PEter David. Blonde Bloke in a Cricket coat.Wore all white. Matched his colurless episodes. ( they where hsot in colour but...)

THen, Colin Baker assumed the rle, he donned a Multi-COloured coat and acted insane, and lasted the shortest while.

FInally, Sylvester McCoy took the role. he was short, but fun to watch, and a bit mroe of a sceamer and planner than the others. He wore usually normal clothing, too, except the queasitn marks.

His run ended the show, and he woudl nto hve a successor until FOX made a Television Movie int he hopes of reviving the series, but their exensive chnges ( soem of which appear on the new version, liek the new look for the TARDIS interior, which is insoired by the Telemovie) doomed it.

Nevertheless, he is now ocnsidered the 8th Doctor, officially, and was played by Paul McGann.

THe new Revival seires on the BBC has had two Doctors.

CHristopher Eccleston and David Tennant.

The doctor can only regenerate 12 times, thus we will have only 13 doctors.

There was also a set of two movies, set outside the regular continuity, which starred Peter Cushing as the Doctor, but he was a Human sicnetist and invented the TARDIS.His actualname was "Doctor Who", unliek in the show where heis name is bnever given and he is refered to simply as "the Doctor". The films retold the stories about the Daleks, one of the most endeuring enemies on the series.

The new series is headed by Russel T. Davis who has taken the show in a diction I don't like, and also inscerted his own poltiical iews which is distasteful, espeucally for a publiclaly funded series.
Last edited by ZAROVE on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiro3

Post by tiro3 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Hello all. I'm a long time friend of Metacrock. ;) hey Meta get us some more smilies, ey! Please please. :P

And hello to unred and WordGazer, we are now three if your count of two still stands.

So may I be so ridiculous as to ask how the other women in here stand on the issues of women pastors? :lol:

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:40 pm

tiro3 wrote:Hello all. I'm a long time friend of Metacrock. ;) hey Meta get us some more smilies, ey! Please please. :P

And hello to unred and WordGazer, we are now three if your count of two still stands.

So may I be so ridiculous as to ask how the other women in here stand on the issues of women pastors? :lol:

Hi TL good to see you. TL was actually signed up on SON but rarely posted. I've known her since about 2002.

I will try but this board is new and I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I miss my old smlies, the sining sun and all those guys.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:48 pm

We here gots us a way to handle them thar faincey newfangled women Pastors.

We takes'em out , and burns'em at the stake.

That'll teach them Uppity types. A-yep.

tiro3

Post by tiro3 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:59 pm

ZAROVE wrote:We here gots us a way to handle them thar faincey newfangled women Pastors.

We takes'em out , and burns'em at the stake.

That'll teach them Uppity types. A-yep.
Is that your John Wayne immitation. :D

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:43 pm

Well, if it'll land me mor eowmen, then yes. :shock: 8-) :twisted:

tiro3

Post by tiro3 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:14 pm

ZAROVE wrote:Well, if it'll land me mor eowmen, then yes. :shock: 8-) :twisted:
I don't know about other women, but I just couldn't stand John Wayne, well except he was good for a chuckle. So, it might not land you more women. hehe

But men seem to like him. Can't figure that out. :roll:

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm not int men. On the other hand, I'm not relaly into John Wayne either. I still wonder why he was thogyht of as a good choice to play Ghengis Khan...

I mean, a 6'4 Wie guy with blonde hair and broad shoudlers is Ghengis Khan?

Why not cast a Chinese man to play Edward the COnfessor.

How abotu a blakc guy to play Eric The Red?

THe castign is just all wrong.

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:00 am

ZAROVE wrote:Among other htigns, yes. He was a TIme ( and space) traveler, using the T.A.R.D.I.S.. THis stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.

The machien was larger on the inside thna on the outside, and the devise used ot disguise it had broken in the 1960's, on Earht, in London, and so it was ever int he shaoe of a British Police Box form the 1940's or 1950's. ( THe Craft was, when it originally gained htis appearance, in a Junk Yard.)

The Doctor was himself a Time Lord, and from a differnet world, Gallifrey. ( He wa snot Half Human, as the dreadful American TV Movie said.)

But, he did not always have the scarf. In fact, he did not always have the same face. The Doctor had the ability ( due to the need to find enw actors) to Regenerate, and when he did, his appearance woudl change.

So woudl some aspects of his personality.

The core of the Charecter remained contant throghut the series, but his persdonal was always changed along with his physical appearnace.

He was, in the original series, played by 7 different actors.

WIlliam Hatrnell played him first, and was an old man.

THis was followed by Patrick Troughton

He was succeeded by John Pertwee.

THen, TOm Baker, who was the Chap who had the 17 foot long SCarf and curly brown hair.

He was succeeded by PEter David. Blonde Bloke in a Cricket coat.Wore all white. Matched his colurless episodes. ( they where hsot in colour but...)

THen, Colin Baker assumed the rle, he donned a Multi-COloured coat and acted insane, and lasted the shortest while.

FInally, Sylvester McCoy took the role. he was short, but fun to watch, and a bit mroe of a sceamer and planner than the others. He wore usually normal clothing, too, except the queasitn marks.

His run ended the show, and he woudl nto hve a successor until FOX made a Television Movie int he hopes of reviving the series, but their exensive chnges ( soem of which appear on the new version, liek the new look for the TARDIS interior, which is insoired by the Telemovie) doomed it.

Nevertheless, he is now ocnsidered the 8th Doctor, officially, and was played by Paul McGann.

THe new Revival seires on the BBC has had two Doctors.

CHristopher Eccleston and David Tennant.

The doctor can only regenerate 12 times, thus we will have only 13 doctors.

There was also a set of two movies, set outside the regular continuity, which starred Peter Cushing as the Doctor, but he was a Human sicnetist and invented the TARDIS.His actualname was "Doctor Who", unliek in the show where heis name is bnever given and he is refered to simply as "the Doctor". The films retold the stories about the Daleks, one of the most endeuring enemies on the series.

The new series is headed by Russel T. Davis who has taken the show in a diction I don't like, and also inscerted his own poltiical iews which is distasteful, espeucally for a publiclaly funded series.
Woah... that was quite a litany of the show. Now I’m really hoping to see you and VisualFiction
discuss the "Christian/Biblical themes in Doctor Who".
8-)
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.