Meaning of "fulfilled" in the Gospel of Matthew

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator: Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.

Re: Meaning of "fulfilled" in the Gospel of Matthew

Postby met on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:10 pm

sgttomas wrote:So met, given that the real historical understanding of the identity of Jesus was not centered on the notion of him literally being God, not a homogenous, or obvious way and neither was the idea of righteousness about imputation through blood sacrifice a literal thing, nor a metaphorical thing, because that wasn’t how righteousness was understood by ANYONE….and therefore the notion of original sin and atonement, etc….it’s all gone by the wayside now for many people who aren’t tethered to certain theological traditions (for …reasons).

Well, Luther's reading could still be there. It's not primary or obvious, which is what one might expect as it was developed 1500 years after the fact. Moreover, based on the archeological evidence, it could be, at best, only a secondary or second-level reading. But that's perhaps not so important from a theologian's standpoint? (I'm relating with Px more on a historical-natural perspective here.) The New Perspectivist, NT Wright's reading of Romans--as Paul's letter addressing the squabbles going on in one of his new movement's 'cells,' in Rome, which it seems was breaking down due to racio-cultural issues--is, for me, more 'natural' to the historical occasion of its composition, and Romans is quite a bit easier to contextualize that way, and it reads more smoothly using that overview. But, really, Luther's reading, with its highly individualistic and personal under-and-over-tones can be quite a lot more compelling and dramatic, and some might even say 'deeper,' in spite of its obvious onto-political applications to Luther's own historical sitch ... so what do you make of that?

"Blood sacrifice?' Yeah. That's such a weird idea! How could you get off for your own crimes by having an innocent person executed in you stead? No-one would say....

Well, I did the murder, but they already hung Joe, so .... NA NA NA!!

... nope, I could never quite figure that one out....

http://marginalia.lareviewofbooks.org/i ... ialnetwork
(Reading a book written by this reviewer, right now ... & acquiring some language from her)

ETA: I guess the "Luther' issue is like the Romantic-era musicians rediscovery of Bach. When 19th pianists started playing Johann Sebastian Bach's music with (their typical) thundering crescendos and diminuendos, it was pointed out to them that Bach himself, a Baroque-era musician would not and could not not have done that since he played the harpsichord--an instrument that was not even capable of producing that kind of fluid dynamics since it didn't have touch-sensitive keys--they replied "It's already there, implicit in the music, and we're just playing what it says..."
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton
met

Postby met on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:54 pm

The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton
met

Postby SayaOtonashi on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:20 am

So does fulfilled mean Christians aren't under the old law? There is still debates for Christians to have followed all the Mosaic law
SayaOtonashi

Postby The Pixie on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:13 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:So does fulfilled mean Christians aren't under the old law? There is still debates for Christians to have followed all the Mosaic law

That is what Christians say, but it requires twisting the word "fulfilled" to mean something else.

Every covenant in the Bible builds on the one before; it adds new laws but removes none. This supposed new covenant - the details of which are absent from the Bible - is unlike all the rest. Despite Jesus specifically saying he was not changing the Law at all.
The Pixie

Previous

Return to Theology/Bible